food saver question

Smokin Mike

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I have one of these guys, and love it.

T000-03501-002_9.jpg

I use it all the time, freeze bbq leftovers for baked beans, and fridge some for later, but how long can you safety reuse the bbq from the fridge and/or freezer? I assume chicken and ribs have different times than brisket, but I just don't know. what is the best way to reheat, I tried boiling water, gave up took to long, just nuked it last time

TIA

Michael

I you know a day or two ahead just take them out of the freezer and the thaw like a turkey. Your cooking times increase then becaiuse your not trying to thaw an ice cube first.

WTF!! :eek: Go to the penalty box for that!

o.k I stepped back from the computer for that one (didn't even surf for atleast 20 minutes), thanks for pointing that out

anyways, I have some chicken, ribs in the fridge right now, it's last friday's meal, 4 days old, and wondering if it's still good. I threw in the freezer question too, because I do use meat for beans thats been in there for months,,,

TIA

I vacu-suck BBQ all the time. It seems to last "forever" and still taste fresh when re-heated.

The "Boiling Bag" procedure works great. Your are not boiling the meat, just adding heat.

Micro-Zapping in the bag works great---IF you keep the power low, poke a couple of vent holes in the top of the bag, and take your time.

The single best thing I have found for re-heating is to take it slow and easy and protect the moisture.

Good Eats.

TIM

I vacu-suck BBQ all the time. It seems to last "forever" and still taste fresh when re-heated.
I agree, the only problem is that it's gone long before "forever". lol

The "Boiling Bag" procedure works great. Your are not boiling the meat, just adding heat.
One thing when you use the 'Boiling Bag Method", put a small towel or washcloth on between the bag and the bottom of the pot. I've had the bags melt on me in the past when I didn't give it just that little bit of insulation.

Micro-Zapping in the bag works great---IF you keep the power low, poke a couple of vent holes in the top of the bag, and take your time.
Yes, vent holes.... Don't ask me how I know that...

The single best thing I have found for re-heating is to take it slow and easy and protect the moisture.
Very true...

The other thing is that if you are cooking to store (i.e. doing an extra brisket for later use) I've cut back on my initial cooking time. Remember you are adding heat and therefore cooking it a little bit more.

Also, remember to double seal the bags if you intend to reheat in water. Nothing worse that a bag of Q swimming in water.

thanks you guys, thanks for the hint about cutting back on the cooking time, I do it all the time, cook more than needed, I always figure it's wastefull to cook so little on a big smoker

I was looking at my sealer (Seal-A-Meal) last night and noticed that the vacume intake is no-longer on the bottom (where the juices end up, but above in the lid... This is a great improvement!

o.k I stepped back from the computer for that one (didn't even surf for atleast 20 minutes), thanks for pointing that out

anyways, I have some chicken, ribs in the fridge right now, it's last friday's meal, 4 days old, and wondering if it's still good. I threw in the freezer question too, because I do use meat for beans thats been in there for months,,,

TIA

As far as I'm concerned...the meat that you've cooked, vacuum sealed and frozen is good for well over a year, maybe two. Heck, I have chicken, pork and beef sealed in my freezer that is well over that and I wouldn't hesitate to reheat and serve.

In the fridge, I just remember when I was a kid I ate at that Turkey for a week after Thanksgiving....I'd guess if it were sealed and kept cold in the refrigerator it'd be great for a month or two.

I've also changed my mind about boiling the frozen food bags....'tis just a simmer for me for now on. I've also used the notch just above defrost for about 20 mins to heat it up.

Brian

Just my opinion,
Brian

I just got my sealer a few weeks ago. I agree to thaw like turkey in the fridge for a couple days. I tried opening the bag and putting some pulled Pork into a bowl with a little Coke. Came out really moist and tasty.

Back