"skinnies", not fatties

G$

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Has anyone ever smoked a batch of those skinny breakfast link style sausages? (Johnsonville makes them, in maple no less along with the typical Owens or Farmer John products.)

I was thinking, the only thing better than a fatty off the smoker, would be if it were done 2 and a half hours sooner.

G$ said:
Has anyone ever smoked a batch of those skinny breakfast link style sausages? (Johnsonville makes them, in maple no less along with the typical Owens or Farmer John products.)

I was thinking, the only thing better than a fatty off the smoker, would be if it were done 2 and a half hours sooner.

I had these smoked the last time,,,I was in Long Island.

Very good, on good Costco bread.

Puppy Peters, as our Texas friends call them

RE: Re: "skinnies", not fatties

Bought a package at Sam's and deskinned them to make a fatty, very good.

We did them here last year at the bash and several times since. Phil dubbed them "mini fatties".

As Neil said you need to "de-skin" them

This is something I have to try. Just finished frying some up for breakfast, they were just ordinary. Wife loves it when I make fatties.

Re: RE: Re: "skinnies", not fatties

Trout_man22 said:
As Neil said you need to "de-skin" them

At Phils it was the Jimmy Dean "mini's" and there was really no need to skin them

Still had some smokyness to them.

What kind you cook Trout? Wonder if it is a brand difference, or a preference issue

RE: Re: RE: Re: "skinnies", not fatties

we do mini-fatties all the time. They're snack food for us at competitions too. Put on a couple batches of pop-n-fresh biscuits and after they're in for 5-10 minutes put the little links in. The jimmie deans are done in about 20-30 miniutes.. Johnsonville also makes them. I like them better than big fatties.. they're done faster.. and ya can eat MORE!!

I'll have to check, now that you ask don't rightly know. Thought they were jimmie deans butt now I thinning it might be a local brand.

Supermarkets here sell a store brand of uncooked(not pre-cooked) breakfast links. I find that the non-precooked ones come out better. Still juicy and squirt when ya bite them.(i cant believe i said that. Someone WILL run with it i am sure). Anyway... if you can find the raw ones grab em. Jimmy deans are precooked, and costco sells them in lots of 4 boxes with 24 per box. They are good, but even the raw store brands do better in our cookers.

The ones I did were un-cooked, I did some with the skin on they came out okay but once I removed the skin they were great. Not as run down your arm juicy but had better smokey flavor.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: "skinnies", not fatties

BBQchef33 said:
Supermarkets here sell a store brand of uncooked(not pre-cooked) breakfast links. I find that the non-precooked ones come out better. Still juicy and squirt when ya bite them.(i cant believe i said that. Someone WILL run with it i am sure). Anyway... if you can find the raw ones grab em. Jimmy deans are precooked, and costco sells them in lots of 4 boxes with 24 per box. They are good, but even the raw store brands do better in our cookers.

That sounds good. I will try to pick up a box or two for the bash. 8)

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: "skinnies", not fatties

They do sound like quick snacks for competitions, parties at home, etc.

:lol: Puppy Peters! That's farkin' hilarious! Given the colorful use of terms here on the Brethren site, I move we designate "puppy peters" as the official Brethren name for smoked link sausage... :D

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: "skinnies", not fatties

I guess I have something else to add to this weeks shopping list.
These small links will be a warm up for the Fatty that will be cooking along side of them.

Guido

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: "skinnies", not fattie

Jeff_in_KC said:
:lol: Puppy Peters! That's farkin' hilarious!

"That's just slicker than a puppy peter!" is a phrase i grew up with.
It just fits like a sock on a duck's head.

Hey Fred, what's you have for dinner last night?

Oh, chomped on a juicy butt, couple slices of a diosaur turd, some nice fatty, and a handfull of puppy peters.

Fred, you're sick

Fred sounds like a guy I'd get along with!

We're all Freds . . .

willkat98 said:
Hey Fred, what's you have for dinner last night?

Oh, chomped on a juicy butt, couple slices of a diosaur turd, some nice fatty, and a handfull of puppy peters.

Fred, you're sick

Don't forget the Armadillo Eggs!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: "skinnies", not fatties

BBQchef33 said:
Jimmy deans are precooked, and costco sells them in lots of 4 boxes with 24 per box. They are good, but even the raw store brands do better in our cookers.

Can I get a clarification, Sir.

I thought the puppy peters you had in June were the raw Jimmy Dean?

Were they Johnsonville?

I coulda swore they were raw.

But what do I know

I know they were GOOD

Back