Lets talk turkey! Let see the pron because I know you have it!

Cooking advise ...

Hi Guys

Was directed to this thread by one of the helpful admins. Looking for some advise on how to cook these beasts.

At the moment I am using a weber and making a 44gal cooker as I go ...

I'm in Oz, so resources are skinny on the ground for reading material. So just wondering any info on times and temperatures for cooking these birds. And any tips such as butter under the skin, brining etc ...

Gotta say very envious of you guys in the US, so much protein ... so slowly cooked ...

Scotty

Did a practice turkey today. Brined it for 17 hours, then smoked it on my electric Brinkman for 5 hours. Tastes good. My wife even approved!
Stan41

turkey1.jpg

Turkey Cook (2 turkeys) Nov. 12 and 13th 2009
Turkeys weighed 10 and 12 pounds and were fully thawed.
Started turkeys brining Nov. 12, 2009 at 12:05 PM. in Ice Chest with 3 gallons of ice in milk jugs

Turkey Brine Recipe For 2 Turkeys

* 2 gallons water
* 2 cups coarse Kosher salt
* 1 1/2 cups soy sauce
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1 cup brown sugar
* 1 cup honey
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sage
* 8 tablespoons black pepper
* 8 tablespoons chopped garlic
* 2 teaspoons Allspice
2 Tablespoons Tender Quick

Bring to a rolling boill, turn heat off and let it set until it is room temperature then

brine turkey for 24 hours.

November 13, 2009

Cooked on Brinkman Electric with mesquite chips on burner for 3 hours, 40 minutes at 275 degrees. Temperature was 175 degrees in the breasts.

Here's my test run from today. Just did a breast.

DSC_0209resized.jpg

Injected it with equal parts of...

DSC_0195resized.jpg

Rubbed with Poultry Perfect Rub (from Smoke and Spice), thyme and rosemary.

Cooked on the Egg at 325f, basted with broth a few times. When it it 155f, I basted it with some of the reserved injection to get the nice golden color.

scan0001.jpg

We were quite happy with it and the sides we tested today.

Here is my practice bird from a couple weeks ago.
Brined for 2 days I think, don't remember. Smoked on UDS at about 225 for 7.5 hours.

DSCF5985.jpg

I smoke turkeys in my Traeger and crisp up in The Big Easy but smoking is smoking. I brine first.
Image00003.jpg

Next smoke in the Traeger at 225 degrees until an internal temp of 130 or so is reached. This takes about three and a half hours for a 12 lb bird.
Image00001-1.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Next finish in The Big Easy to crisp up the skin.
Image00007.jpg

Done
Image00012.jpg

I am so jealous. Around my house Thanksgiving cooking doesn't belong to me so I don't get to smoke or fry the Turkey.

You guys are amazing...
Everyone's pron looks great! Hey get this... My wife just tells me she dosen't like smoked turkey!:shock: Says it tastes like ham...It's just her and I at home now. We've been invited to a neighbors' son's house for dinner. Fried turkey. Thats fine with her, and me. Thank God he,s not smoking it. So I know how you feel Grail...At least you get to create your hybred squirrels!HA! HA! HA! lol that is to funny! Now you have a seasonal avatar!:biggrin:

the theory of icing the breast is to get the breast meat colder than the legs and thighs so you have a better chance of not overcooking the breast and getting it to 160 when the thigh hits 180. it's not my theory or idea so if there are any complaints, contact mad max on the bge forum.

mmturkey2007-002.jpg
I thought it was a form of "waterboarding" . Trying to trick the bird to thinking it's freezing, when his @$$ is roasting!!

Back