First smoked turkey

R

Rylos1

I was elected to smoke a turkey for a work lunch. My questions are, how long would a 12 lb. turkey take at 225 degrees, and how do I keep it moist and tender? Or how would the experts here cook it?

First, at 225, I don't go that route. IMO, too long in the danger zone.

I do my birds at 325. At that temp, you're looking at about 20 minutes per lb.

As for keeping her moist, I brine mine for 24 hours prior. A good trick/piece of advie is to put a bag of ice on the breast for 20 minutes prior to smoking. That way, it lets the breast and the thighs finish at the same time. As such, the breast doesn't over cook and dry out.

prep-7.jpg

Finished5hrs.jpg

I use the Mad Max recipe so here's a link that will give you a lot of information: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

He doesn't brine but I do for a turkey, not for whole chickens for what that's worth.

Very good advice Abelman. For sure you don't want to smoke it at 225... The ice tip works too. I did a small bird about a week ago and it took 4-1/2 hrs. My temps ran 275-315 for most the cook, but I would have preferred them to be 325.

Some experienced Brethren told me to brine one hr/lb. and then rinse before I rub. It worked well for me.

I always do large birds 18-22 lbs, I always brine and I always cook low and slow.
Remember that brine also has anti-microbial properties and severely retard bacteria; growth. In the 10 or so years I have been smoking birds this low and slow I have never had a problem of anyone getting sick.

don't truss the legs as that prevents them from cooking quickly. also don't overcook the turkey as most do.

Back