First Comp

P

Prairie Smoker

Gearing up for my first Comp this coming weekend. Any advice, comments, encouragement, from the Brethren would gratefully appreciated. Thanks folks!

I am a newbie here and just completed my first comp. a couple weeks ago in Claremore Ok. My advice would be sleep the day before, you are not going to sleep at all Friday, lol. Just have fun and relax, do not fret over every little thing. Dont make unattainable goals. I had two goals, Number 1 was to make all turn in times and Number 2 was not to place last in any category. I met both goals and felt really good about it.

Lessons Learned

I also am new, with 1 competition under my belt. BUT, with that said, my observations were:
1. I did not use enough sunscreen. Bring a good hat. Even if you have tents, popups etc, there is no escaping the sun
2. Don't be so focused on all the tasks that you forget to enjoy it.
3. BBQ folks are probably the nicest folks you will ever meet. Do as much prep as you can ahead of time so you have time to share a cold beverage with as many folks as possible.

The biggest thing is to relax and enjoy. Doln't do any cooks different than you have done before. KISS! Hope you relax and have a good tlime!

Back