• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What do you think of our practice "putting green" ?

• Thread starter Weiss Mountain Smoke
  • Start date
W

Weiss Mountain Smoke

Hey Folks -

Well, we intended on praticing our KCBS comp turn-in boxes this weekend, but we didn't get around to it as the meat was coming off the smoker and then afterwards there were no leftovers to work with. So, we threw the box together without the meat anyway. This was our first time trying the "putting green" style I've read about here on the brethren...

What do ya think? Just try and imaging the meat being there :lol: Any/all feedback appreciated.

Attachments

• 4th of July 2009 038.jpg
    4th of July 2009 038.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 243
  • 4th of July 2009 039.jpg
    4th of July 2009 039.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 243
first picture, upper left hand corner area, looks like some lighter green. ya wanna make sure it's all uniform color.. other than that, it looks fine to me.

Looks great . Not that you are judged on it but I try to put the yellow looking lighter colored pieced in the middle and save my best looking for the outside perimeter. The middle will get covered with meat . TO me its just so it doesn't draw any attention to it and take any focus off the meat. You are welocme to come and do my boxes anytime!

We've gone to this style of box and have done pretty well with it. Seems to be easier to execute too. Other than what Podge has suggested is all that I can see too. Looks good.

I have not used one yet but will next contest. Make sure the bed isn't so tall that the meat touches the top when you close it. That's where I screwed up on my test run.

Nice for the first try. The consistent color is only thing I see to improve. Good luck at your first comp.

first picture, upper left hand corner area, looks like some lighter green. ya wanna make sure it's all uniform color.. other than that, it looks fine to me.
Boy you're tough but you are right about the corners. The border should be the same color. At one time I was trying for everything to be the same then I put in the meat and covered 80-90% of the parsley. So long as it's a solid level bed I just worry about color around the edges.

And I'll miss you at Lowell this weekend so have fun at Kettering.

I have not used one yet but will next contest. Make sure the bed isn't so tall that the meat touches the top when you close it. That's where I screwed up on my test run.
My big problem is touching the sides. But for the lid look very carefully at the lid of the box. They vary a lot in depth from contest to contest. I have to adjust the parsley level accordingly.

Would ya be willin to make some for us?

Uncle Bud
Ditto that. I hate making boxes but I still do it.

Being that its a meat contest I usually put in enough meat where you dont see any parsley at all. I think people get to caught up in the parsley thing. Your boxes do look nice but its the meat that winns the contest. Just my 2 cents

Looks good! We do "putting greens"!! Be sure to tuck in extra parsley after placing the meat, to ensure uniformity. then use a Q-tip to clean off any extra sauce that may have dripped! Good luck!!:icon_cool

well I only see 5 ribs so its a DQ, NOT. It looks good to me but as the others have said watch the color difference. As a judge I dislike picking up a slice and taking along a bunch of parsley or whatever, of course I don't let that influence how I judge its just annoying. So I lay the larger leafs of lettuce in the center and put the parsley around the edges to prevent that form happening. Just have to make sure none of the lighter leafs show through.
Dave

Boy you're tough but you are right about the corners. The border should be the same color. At one time I was trying for everything to be the same then I put in the meat and covered 80-90% of the parsley. So long as it's a solid level bed I just worry about color around the edges.

And I'll miss you at Lowell this weekend so have fun at Kettering.

All a guy needs is some brand new judge giving a fella an 8 instead of a 9 in appearance because of that piece of parsley and could cost a GC.

Back