calcutta the teams??

S

scottyd

What do you guys think of having a Calcutta at a BBQ contest? Auction off the TEAMS and of course you may buy your team for the highest bid, or if you don’t want your team let it sell to someone else. At the end of the contest you pay out all the money collected in the auction and pay out so many places in the overall by a percentage. So a contest with 30 teams you would pay out 1 to 10 of course 1 getting a higher percentage of the pot.

What do you think???

They do this in fishing derbys, bull riding events and others. Why not BBQ

Let the cooks get paid.

Are you suggesting gambling? Shame on you. I do know that at some events teams make side bets but a formal system? I sure wouldn't want somebody buying my team and then I had an off day or got a DQ from some reason and have a sore loser coming after me.

This happens at many of the non sanctioned beer joint cookoffs around
Houston...instead of overall, its usually brisket only..normal payout
of Calcutta money is top 3 places, split 50-30-20...some good payout to the winners!

They do it 2 ways, buy your team yourself or someone else does...other way..
if someone buys your team...the head cook has the option to buy 50% back and if you win Yall split the pot...

Last way is to just have a 20-50 dollar side pot for those who want to enter...

If teams choose not to take part in Calcutta, they still win the posted prize money for that catagory...

If you buy your team and win, you get the prize money, as well as the
Calcutta pot prize money..:-D

I love Calcuttas. I have doubled my winnings at a few events due to Calcuttas. It's cool that you have a choice whether to bid on yourself or not. Shotgun is good too. The worst part about the calcutta/shotgun is that it sometimes takes way too long. I only wish there was a way to speed it up a bit, especially when there are a bunch of teams.

It is common at IBCA contests. Actually it is a lot of fun.

They do this at golf tournaments all the time. It's a good time, and if there is a charity involved can put some extra cash into their pockets (split the wins with the charity). All I know is any time I've seen it done it's taken a good hour at least, and since you'd need to do that on Friday night people might be a bit busy or might not show up. You'd have to grease them with something of interest to get them to show up, drinks a prize or something.

Yup, Calcuttas are fun, and a good way to dip some extra in to the charity's pot if you set it up that way. That being said, none of the comps Ihave been to had a calcutta.

to eliminate the problem with the time it takes to setup and pay out a calcutta what about the simple dollar dollar dollar thing? In this case it would be dollar - chicken, dollar - ribs, dollar - pork, dollar - brisket, and dollar overall or 5 bucks to enter. One person can take a sheet around and get the five bucks from everyone and the winners are responsible for going to that person after the contest to collect their winnings. everybody has 5 bucks to spare and even a small 30 team contest that gets all teams signed up gives everyone a change at 30 bucks for each one of the dollar bets.

I like the idea of a calcutta. A contest could advertise/communicate to the teams beforehand and have this after the cooks meeting.

Greendriver has another good suggestion with the $5 side bet cash pot.

Well many times the teams will go for over one hundred dollars. We also do side bets as well.

We do Calcutta's all the time here on various sporting things and I just thought why not. Add a Little something more to the pockets of the cooks, travel cash or what have you. if you have never done one or been in one I guess I would be a little stand offish but its is just one way to spur some good conversation and add to the excitement.

Back