building new smoker

nitroplumber

Found some matches.
Reaction score
:eusa_clapI'm in the process of designing a new smoker trailer for our vol. fire & rescue department I have found some good links about cook chamber to fire box size and so on. However the fire box I'm looking a the is on the back of cook chamber and I don't know what to do about the stacks. It looks to me that I need one on each end to get the smoke through out the chamber, the cheat sheets I have tell me a 6" vent approx. 45" long, but this is for a std. offset or reverse flow. What do I do about 2 stacks? I know I have to keep the right amount of sq. inches to make everything draft right. Do I cut the stacks in half? (i.e. 22.1/2") tall or change pipe size? Any help on this issue would be greatly appreciated. I have attached a first round drawing of what I have in mind. Any thought's on layout? I haven't put in tables or counters yet figured I'd get the bones done first then trim out.

Attachments

• smoker layout 1.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 131
ok then, here we go again. how do you figure the stacks on a smoker that has the fire box on the back? I have info on offset & reverse haven't found info on one for the back. It's a 36x75 cook chamber and a 24x56 fire box. Would like to use 6 inch stacks (because I have the pipe) if possible but need to know how long to make them to keep the draft right. thanks

Tough one, I don't think the normal calculators will work. Let's start with the firebox and cook chamber volume: 36X75X? and 24X56X?.

Tough one, I don't think the normal calculators will work. Let's start with the firebox and cook chamber volume: 36X75X? and 24X56X?.
I bet 24" dia firebox and 36" dia cook chamber...no more dims needed :wink:

I bet 24" dia firebox and 36" dia cook chamber...no more dims needed :wink:

I could not tell if they were cylindars or not and air flow/draft depends on volumes, but if true, then 2@6", run up through the roof should work. Remember, you can always throttle back with a baffle but it is a beeeoootch to add!

I'm no expert, just and old guy who likes to make stuff. From what I'm seeing in the drawing, your smoke stacks are too close to the fire box, all across the back of your smoke box will not heat properly. You need to get the flow to travel to and across the rear for even heat. At least put the exhaust vents off the 2 rear corners. And like mentioned, bigger is easier to control than too small and you can't get enough flow or temp. I believe your firebox is over sized and you will waste a lot of fuel, but again what do I know. You don't show the height of your firebox compared to the smoke chamber or the opening your going to run and it's dimensions.
Just some thoughts first look at it.

:confused:ok I know I'm new but I used the quick reply a couple of times now and I get the error that it's too short must be 4 char. It was about 100+ char. What am I doing wrong?

Back