Started looking for a jambalaya pot

chad

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I watched Flay's Throwdown with ole what's his name from New Orleans...it was, naturally, a rerun, but I like the Throwdown format and really liked the jambalaya pot...

I found a couple of sources for the pots, paddles, stands/burners/etc. I may be able to use my Krazy Kajun burner if I buy the right pot.

http://www.krazykajuncookware.com/

Similar stuff from Bayou Classics...

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/index.htm

King Kajun and Bayou Classic burners and turkey pots are usually available at Lowe's and/or Home Depot, too. I haven't seen a jambalaya pot around here but the aluminum and stainless turkey pots and fish fry stuff is usally available.

chad said:
I watched Flay's Throwdown with ole what's his name from New Orleans...it was, naturally, a rerun, but I like the Throwdown format and really liked the jambalaya pot...

I found a couple of sources for the pots, paddles, stands/burners/etc. I may be able to use my Krazy Kajun burner if I buy the right pot.

http://www.krazykajuncookware.com/

Similar stuff from Bayou Classics...

http://www.bayouclassicdepot.com/index.htm

King Kajun and Bayou Classic burners and turkey pots are usually available at Lowe's and/or Home Depot, too. I haven't seen a jambalaya pot around here but the aluminum and stainless turkey pots and fish fry stuff is usally available.

I saw the same episode and....had the same thoguhts:wink: Looks like we're makin' jambalaya :rolleyes:

tumpedover said:
I saw the same episode and....had the same thoguhts:wink: Looks like we're makin' jambalaya :rolleyes:

Yeah, my problem is what size pot to buy!!:-D I'm of the "I can always cook less in a big pot but can't cook more in a little pot" school of logic!!

I'd like to add cajun food to my catering repertoire and so I may start with the 10 gallon.

Since I know how to cook rice I don't think I'll have the scorch problem Bobby experienced!:eek: I can't believe he didn't know the "turn off the heat and wait 20 minutes without looking" method!!

That 10 gallon pot looks pretty good to me. Wonder if I'll need a hoist to move it? Shipping could be interesting as well.

Looked around the bayou classic site. They've got a cornbread stick pan and a bacon press as well. Been looking for a bacon press for awhile.

Lot's of good cast iron stuff out there - drop biscuit pan, oblong casseroles with lids, etc. Of course, you can get a lot of stuff at Cabela's, Bass Pro, etc. but I started looking specifically for the jambalaya pot and wasn't disappointed.

I've had a Krazy Kajun turkey pot and fryer for several years...still works fine. I like the "banjo" burner -- looks like it would be a bit more even than my 6" ring burner.

I'd have to reinforce all the shelving in the house if I bought much more cast iron.

Yeah, I saw that. Bobby was a fish out of water on that episode. Correctly prepared jambalaya is a real treat. I have never been able to make it correctly. I might have to buy one of those pots.

chingador said:
Yeah, I saw that. Bobby was a fish out of water on that episode. Correctly prepared jambalaya is a real treat. I have never been able to make it correctly. I might have to buy one of those pots.

I think I'd fry a few turkeys, chicken, some fish, etc. numerous times to get that pot well seasoned!!:-D

Sticking is the largest issue I've found - basically with any rice dish.

chingador said:

I don't have a proper pot (yet, that may change after chad started this thread) make it in a cast iron dutch oven now. The cast iron definitely makes a difference when you make the roux. Noah has posted a good one in the recipe section here.

Dave,
I make a lot of jambalaya regularly, and I use cast iron dutch ovens. I guess I like the fact that they can be used for several different meals, and also work with several different heat sources from charcoal to my jet burner.

Edit: Dave, I completely didn't think about weight. A 10 gallon pot full of whatever would be twice as difficult than a couple of smaller pots, especially if you are cooking by yourself.

nmayeux said:
Dave,
I make a lot of jambalaya regularly, and I use cast iron dutch ovens. I guess I like the fact that they can be used for several different meals, and also work with several different heat sources from charcoal to my jet burner.

Edit: Dave, I completely didn't think about weight. A 10 gallon pot full of whatever would be twice as difficult than a couple of smaller pots, especially if you are cooking by yourself.

I usually cater by myself, so I just deal with weight, etc. An 8 quart dutch oven just wouldn't quite do what I have in mind!!:shock:

Part of catering is the "show" and one BIG pot makes a much better show!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also I have no doubt that whenever I visit you will have me do most the heavy lifting.

And it is sad when a "pro" chef like Flay can't make rice...I made some last night, and like you said...boil water, add rice, simmer for 20 minutes while watching TV, come back...perfect rice...boy that's tough. :|

Looks like a bunch of us were up late and now have a hankerin for jambalaya. Looks like a good source for them big cast iron pots. Thanks for sharing chad. I guess he was out of his element, but whatever the case Flay sure got his butt handed to him on that one.

chad said:
I usually cater by myself, so I just deal with weight, etc. An 8 quart dutch oven just wouldn't quite do what I have in mind!!:shock:

Part of catering is the "show" and one BIG pot makes a much better show!!:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Now that makes some sense!:twisted:

If you were closer, I think I have an extra old cast iron 10 gallon pot I'd let go cheap. We use them for fish fries. They sit on 55 gal drums, we run weed burner type burners to heat them.

thillin said:
If you were closer, I think I have an extra old cast iron 10 gallon pot I'd let go cheap. We use them for fish fries. They sit on 55 gal drums, we run weed burner type burners to heat them.

TIM's Transport--"You call, we haul" :lol:

We are coming through N Texas (Plano/Blue Ridge area) enroute to Santa Fe in Feb.

Figure it out if ya want Chad and Ty.

TIM

The_Kapn said:
TIM's Transport--"You call, we haul" :lol:

We are coming through N Texas (Plano/Blue Ridge area) enroute to Santa Fe in Feb.

Figure it out if ya want Chad and Ty.

TIM

Hmmm. At least I have a couple of weeks to scratch my head about it. On the other hand, if someone closer to ya offers to take it off your hand go ahead.:rolleyes:

PM me if you really want to get rid of it. Let me know a $$$ and then I can coordinate with Tim.:grin:

Sean-SonofDFLittle said:
Also I have no doubt that whenever I visit you will have me do most the heavy lifting.

And it is sad when a "pro" chef like Flay can't make rice...I made some last night, and like you said...boil water, add rice, simmer for 20 minutes while watching TV, come back...perfect rice...boy that's tough. :|

Well, of course you'd "help" your broken down old man!!:shock:

Every now and then Flay just asks for it...jambalaya, pizza (what was he thinking?), bbq...though if you watch the show often he wins more than a few...good concept and it has actually helped me get a better appreciation of his talent.

Ok Dave, I stand corrected! I watched that show this morning, and that 20 gallon pot is the cat's butt! Now, how do I convince my wife that I need another cooker?

nmayeux said:
Ok Dave, I stand corrected! I watched that show this morning, and that 20 gallon pot is the cat's butt! Now, how do I convince my wife that I need another cooker?

The same way I'm going to -- one day one will just follow me home!:-D A big one is not necessarily on the horizon - but I'm starting to get a track on a "small" 4 setup!!:shock:

chad said:
The same way I'm going to -- one day one will just follow me home!:-D A big one is not necessarily on the horizon - but I'm starting to get a track on a "small" 4 setup!!:shock:

Is that kinda like "unattended" ?
Sorry, my evil twin is asking :redface:

Let me know if I am hauling stuff so I can plan.

TIM

Back