Recap of the 2nd Annual GrillinFools.com Backyard BBQ Bash - MASSIVE amount of pictures

GrillinFool

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here are the pics from the BBQ comp I hosted/promoted on Saturday.

The 2nd Annual Backyard Bash is over and done. All that remains is the memories, a few dozen pictures and the smell of smoke wood. It was a glorious event. The weather was perfect, everyone was friendly, and the food was great. Here’s a little recap of the events in chronological order.
The first teams have arrived and it’s not even eight in the morning:
2nd-Bash-1.jpg

Soon more teams start filling the parking lot, back dropped by the changing leaves:
2nd-Bash-2.jpg

And while it’s not quite eight, some guys are perfectly willing to crack open a beer and have their picture taken with the Best in Smoke trophy. These two won the “First Beer in the Morning Trophy”:
2nd-Bash-4.jpg

The first smoke of the day. Evidently there’s something to that early bird statement, as this smoke came from Alan Bowman’s grill who won Best in Smoke:
2nd-Bash-6.jpg

A couple hours later the petting zoo arrived:
2nd-Bash-8.jpg

Not sure if a bunch of calves, piglets, and lambs were a good idea to bring to a BBQ contest, but the kids liked it. They also loved this guy, the balloon artist:
2nd-Bash-22-Balloon-Artist.jpg

At eleven,Woody and Rizzuto from the Point showed up:
2nd-Bash-9-The-Point.jpg

When they got there, the place really started rockin’ with a steady stream of people all day:
2nd-Bash-12-Crowd-Shot.jpg

That was on the lower lot, there was also the field in front of the stage:
2nd-Bash-11-Crowd-Shot2.jpg

And with the crowd came some familiar faces: the Aguirre family. That’s a good looking group. Arthur is a frequent contributor to GrillinFools.com, goes by the King here, competed in the comp last year and started his own outstanding blog, MajorLeagueGrilling.com, and he’s sporting the T-shirt from the comp last year:
2nd-Bash-14-Arthur.jpg

My childhood friend, Tim Devereaux, chatting with Dad who insists on sporting the ear piece no matter how much I give him grief about it:
2nd-Bash-31.jpg

As well as two former coworkers and friends of mine, Jason and Stephanie Diestelkamp and their two beautiful girls:
2nd-Bash-28-Diestelkamps.jpg

I mentioned the lower lot earlier, here’s what was going on at the upper lot:
2nd-Bash-30.jpg

What would you expect when holding the event at Big St. Charles Motor Sports? That was just some of the bikes outside. Check out inside:
2nd-Bash-32.jpg

I don’t want to forget our other sponsor: Hot Shots and those lovely Hot Shots girls:
2nd-Bash-23-Hot-Shots.jpg

2nd-Bash-24-Hot-Shots.jpg

Check out the trophies:
Trophies.jpg

But let’s get back to the grilling:
2nd-Bash-18.jpg

Kevin Henderson is getting his grill started with a flame thrower:
2nd-Bash-17.jpg

Gotta love the banner:
2nd-Bash-16.jpg

Wire Nutz BBQ prepping their app:
2nd-Bash-15.jpg

Blow Your Pit:
2nd-Bash-21-Blow-Your-Pit.jpg

Jeff Ripplemeyer from Ripple-Que talking with Arthur:
2nd-Bash-25-RippleQue.jpg

Todd Pittman of the Smokin’ FyrPit team:
2nd-Bash-26-Todd-Pittman.jpg

Dan Devereaux and Rachel Komeshak from INfamous BBQ:
2nd-Bash-27-Dan-and-Rachel.jpg

Aaron Moore passes on the art of garnishing the box to his son, the youngest member of the Big Ole Dang Ole BBQ team:
2nd-Bash-29-Aaron-Moore-and-his-Son-from-Big-Ole-Dang-Ole.jpg

And let’s not forget the judges:
2nd-Bash-44-Having-a-Blast-at-the-Judging-Table.jpg

2nd-Bash-45.jpg

2nd-Bash-46.jpg

John Carney takes his judging very seriously:
2nd-Bash-48-John-Carney-is-Serious.jpg

2nd-Bash-49.jpg

2nd-Bash-51.jpg

2nd-Bash-52.jpg

Everyone began breaking down their equipment at this point while I tabulated the scores. These pictures make me a little sad:
2nd-Bash-57.jpg

2nd-Bash-58.jpg

And now on to the trophy presentation:
2nd-Bash-61.jpg

4th place for apps – INfamous BBQ:
2nd-Bash-63.jpg

3rd place for apps – Canadian Bakin’:
2nd-Bash-64.jpg

2nd place for apps – Hot Shot BBQ:
2nd-Bash-65.jpg

1st place for apps – Last Minute BBQ:
2nd-Bash-661.jpg

Fourth Place for chicken – Ripple-Que:
2nd-Bash-67.jpg

3rd place for Chicken – Bad to the Bone:
2nd-Bash-68.jpg

2nd place for chicken – Smokin’ Piggy:
2nd-Bash-69.jpg

1st place for chicken – Canadian Bakin’:
2nd-Bash-69a1.jpg

4th place for ribs – Canadian Bakin’, these guys look familiar right?
2nd-Bash-70.jpg

3rd place for ribs – Last Minute BBQ:
2nd-Bash-71.jpg

2nd place for ribs – Kevin Henderson again and Hole Shot BBQ:
2nd-Bash-72.jpg

1st place for ribs – Jeff Ripplemeyer and Ripple-Que:
2nd-Bash-731.jpg

But the best overall for the day, the Best in Smoke, goes to the team from north of the border. BBQ is a passion that knows no country. Canadian Bakin’ took home the big trophy and the prize purse:
2nd-Bash-751.jpg

All of us would like to thank all of you that helped out with this. It was greatly appreciated:
2nd-Bash-76.jpg

All of these pics and quite a few more can be found on our Facebook page.

It was an absolute blast. Scoring it in the sun is a big pain. Seeing the monitor so I may look at going with a different tent next year, not just an awning. Other than feverishly entering scores into a spreadsheet while a couple hundred people wait, it's a great time. We're already gearing up for next year's event...

Very cool event. I have never had the urge to do comps but something like this I would jump on in a second.

Very cool event. I have never had the urge to do comps but something like this I would jump on in a second.

That's why we do this. There are a whole lot of backyard pitmasters that make amazing stuff but never considered competing. People that don't want to look over at a $20K rig in the next slot on the grounds.

The Grillin Fool's did a great job with this event! It was only our second time ever doing something like this and really enjoyed it. Good Job...
Congrat's to Canadian Bakin! It was great seeing you and your family again!

nice~

That was an awesome pic. compilation of the event! Next year first prize is one of those ROAD KINGS!!
:pray:

Back