Cambro's for meat storage

jketron

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
For those with cambro units for cooked meat storage which model works well? Do you get the electric or rely on the warming plate add on?

Just the cambro alone. Your meats will retain their heat for hours.

If you are looking to compete, I would ask whether the electric warmer version is legal in sanctioned competitions. My guess is no, but that is only a guess.

Neither, a small pan of hot water placed in the bottom of the cambro will help keep the meat hot for hours.

Just the box itself. No electric or plate. Big meats easily hold for 3 hours in mine.

Electric is a no-no in competion. The big meats will hold for 3-6 hours when you place two briskets and two pork butts in it and don't open.

Is it a rule buster to use the heated plate insert? It's kinda like the hot water thing, you preheat a plate looking thing and set it in there and it gives off heat for a while

No, as long as there is no electric heat source while the meat is present. I have one in storage in my bodaga and have not used it in years. It sounds like a good deal but in reliality, the meat keeps itself hot.

Anyone have a site that has good deals on the cambros? I have been shopping for one for ages. Carlisles, etc. Trying to find the screamin deal. Was thinking of just going multi purpose and getting a Yeti cooler or outfitters cooler to keep meat as well as beers when not in a comp.

Which Cambro model is most commonly used ?

I have this one

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/cambro-camcarrier-upc400-pan-carrier/214UPC400.html

I put a bag of ice in the top and I transport my meat to the comp in it. I put a polder in it and it held 35-36 for nearly 24 hours. when it hit 37 i refilled the 4 inch top pan I had back with ice and it held for for another day I refilled at meat inspection and it was at 36 until time I put ribs on for the comp. I left on Wednesday Night for this comp.

We picked up a 300 MPC at Restaurant Depot last month when they were on sale. Was the best deal on a new cambro I had seen in recent memory.

Me too, I even had to prepay for one to get the deal.

back on subject, I am not to sure I would want heat in a cambro, the very last thing I want is more cooking, I just want it to hold for a couple of hours.

The heat adding comment was to only keep it above 140 but not too far :)

Cooked meat opened to vent for a few minutes (15-30) and then placed in a 70 degree cambro will hold temp and danger zone will not be a problem unless you pull and cambro for 8 hours or better in my experience.

The Restaurant Store, www.therestaurantstore.com has the Carlisle equivilent to the Cambro on sale for $189 for the month of April if anyone lives near one. My son-in-law has one and it's slightly taller than my MPC300, but will stack on them.

I use an Igloo "5 Day" cooler and it keeps the internal temp within 5 to 7 degrees for about 5 hours. $32.99 as opposed to $179.00 to $199.99 for a Cambro. Wrap a heated brick in a towel and put it on the bottom on top of some paper sacks to keep it fropm melting and you'll be fine. Good luck!

John, the cambro by itself works great. Just remember to vent and cool down the big meats before putting them in the cambro so they don't continue cooking.

Check craigslist for used ones.

John, the cambro by itself works great. Just remember to vent and cool down the big meats before putting them in the cambro so they don't continue cooking.

Check craigslist for used ones.

^^^^ This.

Back