Bourbon BBQ sauce.....

K I N G P I N

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Anyone have a great recipe?? Want to do some pulled pork and would love a great bourbon recipe. Any help would be appreciated.

Here you go, Kingpin...
one of my favorites.

Southern Bourbon BBQ Sauce:
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1/2 cup bourbon
  • 3/4 cup ketchup
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
  • 1/4 cup dark molasses, unsulphured
  • 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
PREPARATION:

In a saucepan, melt the butter with the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté for until golden, about 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients and stir to combine; reduce heat to low and cook until thickened, about 30 to 45 minutes.
Stir often. Use as barbecue sauce or serve warm with grilled meats.

Thanks,
Looks good. Does it have a really bourbony flavor??? What type of bourbon?? Jim beam??

I like to mix together prepared BBQ sauce (KC Masterpiece or any other fave), bourbon (cheapest is best - sharpest flavor), a bit of cinnamon, coriander, garlic and onion powder. Maple syrup and honey add depth, too. A bit of chipotle goo or powder if you want some bite.

Heat it up to get things blended and some of the booze burned off.

It's a lot simpler than a total BBQ sauce recipe (maybe not as good??) and you can whip it up any time you need it.

Barbecue sauce recipe with Jim Beam Kentucky Bourbon.
INGREDIENTS:

• 2 cups tomato ketchup
  • 1 cup brown sugar, packed
  • 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 cup Jim Beam Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey
  • 4 tablespoons cider vinegar
  • 4 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • dash liquid smoke, to taste, optional
PREPARATION:

Combine all ingredients in 2-quart saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered 20 minsutes, or until thickened, stirring occasionally.

I do this one up every now and then...

1 part Dark Brown Sugar
1 part Honey
2 parts Open Pit
4 parts Jack Danniel's Original

Just mix it together...

It has some of the twang you are looking (if not just add a little more Jack)... Family loves it...

Ask and ye shall receive sayeth the Lord.

Thanks guys, I just knew I could count on you guys.

Added these to my sauces folder, no bourbon sauces readily available in this part of the world, so I make and bottle my own, these look great!

Thanks!!

noskos

Oh btw I bout forgot on that stillhouse sauce, it don't say to but I use my motor boat as Emerill calls it on there so them awnyawns will just about dissapear when cooked long enough.

Thanks,
Looks good. Does it have a really bourbony flavor??? What type of bourbon?? Jim beam??
I like the flavor of JD really well. It's not too strong, just right for my tastes.
I would go with 1/4 cup to start and keep taste-testing until you get what you like. Remember, the alcohol will cook out and you'll have a really great flavor left.

Last edited:
Here is my favorite recipe using Jack Daniels. I keep some of this on hand cuz its always requested by family.

½ large Onion minced, 4 each Cloves garlic minced, ¾ cup Whiskey, 2 cup Ketchup, ⅓ cup Vinegar, ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup Packed brown sugar, ¾ cup Molasses, ½ teaspoon Black pepper, ½ tablespoon Salt, ¼ cup Tomato paste, 2 To 3 tb liquid smoke, ⅓ teaspoon Hot sauce or to taste.
Combine onion, garlic and whiskey in a 3-quart saucepan. Saute until onion and garlic are translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and light mixture; flame for 20 seconds. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then turn down mixture to a medium simmer. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Run sauce through a medium strainer to remove onion and garlic bits if you prefer a smoother sauce. Make 4 cups. Note: This sauce gets better with age. If time permits, keep it in the refrigerator a day or so to develop a deeper, richer taste.

This sauce was used by Team Phoenix and won the Jack Daniels invitational several years ago......man its good stuff!!!

Here is my favorite recipe using Jack Daniels. I keep some of this on hand cuz its always requested by family.

½ large Onion minced, 4 each Cloves garlic minced, ¾ cup Whiskey, 2 cup Ketchup, ⅓ cup Vinegar, ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce, ½ cup Packed brown sugar, ¾ cup Molasses, ½ teaspoon Black pepper, ½ tablespoon Salt, ¼ cup Tomato paste, 2 To 3 tb liquid smoke, ⅓ teaspoon Hot sauce or to taste.
Combine onion, garlic and whiskey in a 3-quart saucepan. Saute until onion and garlic are translucent, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and light mixture; flame for 20 seconds. Add all remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, then turn down mixture to a medium simmer. Simmer 20 minutes, stirring constantly. Run sauce through a medium strainer to remove onion and garlic bits if you prefer a smoother sauce. Make 4 cups. Note: This sauce gets better with age. If time permits, keep it in the refrigerator a day or so to develop a deeper, richer taste.

This sauce was used by Team Phoenix and won the Jack Daniels invitational several years ago......man its good stuff!!!
I'm going to have to try that one!!!

Back