Butt emergency!

medeloach

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I thought my butt would take much longer than it did. It was ready 45 min ago (1:30pm) and people aren't coming over till 6pm. I wrapped it in foil and towels and put it in a cooler and am planning to put it in a crockpot later, but I'm concerned if I do it too early that it'll get dry. Is there anything I can put in the crockpot with it to keep it moist that won't ruin it? Maybe apple juice? I don't want to put bbq sauce in it bc I made a couple different sauces for people to try. Help!!!

:doh:

Don't pull it 'till right before you serve it. You'll be fine. It'll keep at a safe temp in that cooler - if that hairs you out, keep the butt wrapped in foil and in an oven at the lowest temp, but really you're good in the cooler. It'll start drying out once you pull it, so put that off as long as you can, plus the heat retains much better when it's whole. With such a nice long rest, you're gonna have some damn good pulled pork right there. :thumb:

I've rested butts in a cooler for 4-5 hours with no problem. Just leave them in the cooler until you are ready to pull.

apple juice would work fine, as would any pan drippings you might have saved from cooking it.

Or you might try a vinegar based finishing sauce if you like that kinda thing, I do. But then don't put the vinegar on too soon or it'll turn everything to mush. It's a finishing sauce so right before you serve is best.

About 5pm put in preheated 200 degree oven to bring back up to temp. Then pull at 6pm and serve. Avoid the crock pot.

No problem if it's a large one (7 to 9 pounds)..... If you pack some wadded up newspaper or a blanket around the butt in the cooler, you will be fine. You will be shocked at how hot it will still be after 4-1/2 hours.

PS keep the cooler inside, not out in the garage.

Heheheee. In a span of 3 minutes there are enough good answers to quell the cries for help. What a community!

Now medeloach,.... start worrying about your cole slaw. :becky: Only kidding.

Back