Best Competition Q Class

Eggspert

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hello,
We just finished our first year of competition BBQ, now I think we need to take a class to fine tune some things for next year. We live in Minnesota and are interested in taking a class this fall/winter/spring. I don't want to travel too far. We have finished well with ribs and chicken, but brisket and pork need some work. Anybody have any favorite classes that they have taken? Classes that give good information and of course are fun? We cook on Big Green Eggs, in case that might affect things/recommendations.

Thanks in advance!
Eggspert BBQ
3 lg BGE
Stoker
Orange thermapen

Not sure who all cooks up there but if you can find a brethren member that needs a runner or help at a contest I would take full advantage of it. Ford was kind enough to let me help one weekend 3 years ago it was a great experiance and a lot of help

I'm just guessing here but I would guess that Pellet Envy's classes have produced more GC teams than any other. I've never taken Rod's class...............yet. I've takin Ployboy/Butcher, Johnny Trigg and Scotties. They are all worth every penny.

Well, check out the website for the Great Lakes BBQ Assn, we are hosting Mike and Debbie Davis of Lotta Bull in November. Travel and accommodations info can be found there too.
www.glbbqa.com

Swamp Boys Q School is tentatively scheduled for the end of March in the Chicago area.

Sent from my Desire HD using Swamptalk 2

I second that. Joe and Ryan do a great job. Took their class in January and learned a lot.

Agreed--took their class in CT this year and it was very well done. Tyring my first competiion next week, so we will see just how good...only joking. but at least having taken that class gave me the confidence to give the competition a try

My wife has agreed that I can take ONE, I am trying to talk her into THREE. Ryan and Joe's class. Pellet Envys class. And Scottie Johnson's class.

I want each one for totally different reasons but right now it looks as if she will only give in to Ryan and Joe. My reason is because how successful they are, my wifes reason is because she knows them and have talked with them. If she is going to let me take a class, I am not going to argue with her logic.

I think many of the classes people mentioned are excellent - I would try to find a class that teaches based on your style of cooking. If you cook on green eggs try to find one that teaches that - if you cook on WSMs, again try to find one that can teach you that.

Also I would only go to classes that actually "tell all". Some classes will teach you their processes and some will actually teach you everything they do and use. Then you can take that and adopt to to your cooking and recipies.

Go see Rub and take the Swampboys class, you will not be disappointed...............

Be sure with any class that you take, that you take tons of notes, ask lots of questions and adapt what you learn to your style........

The Lotta Bull class is top notch! Won my first GC after taking his class. He has won the Royal 4 times now?? Yeah, take his class ;) Not to mention, Mike and Deb are two of the nicest folks you could ever meet!

Any of the above mentioned classes would be great. They are all great people and great competitors. However, if you don't take the classes you can find your own flavor. You can take the classes but then you are cooking just like everybody else. And this coming from somebody that has taken more than a couple of classes. They are all basically doing the same thing. Not saying I didn't get anything out of it cause I did. just seems the same.

• Thanks
Reactions: pat
Back