How Many Jambo Backyard Owners Are Out There?

Libertarian

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I keep coming back to this offset as a lot of bang for the buck. I could theoretically buy it and a nice cabinet and still come out pretty darn good all-in.
Would love to hear from anyone who has one or who has cooked on one - what do you think? Build quality? Performance? It looks like a beautiful pit. I talked to Jamie a few weeks ago and he said he uses steel that is slightly thinner than the typical 1/4". I believe he said 3/16". Said it makes no difference whatsoever thanks to the insulated firebox. Opinions from the peanut gallery on that? I could get that thing shipped to SC and still be $2500 or less all-in. That's $1k or more less than comparable offsets by Gator, Klose or JJ that I've looked at.

Thoughts?

I’ve had my backyard for about 6 weeks and I really like it. Build quality is great, very easy to control temps and the insulated fire box makes a huge difference. I shopped around and done my homework before I bought a stick burner and I think Jamie offers a great pit for the $$. His customer service is also worth mentioning. He quoted me 3 weeks build time and called me exactly 3 weeks to the day and said my pit was ready. He also called me back after several weeks and asked me how I liked my pit and if I had any questions\concerns. Great customer service!

The backyard Jambo has about 23"x48" of cook area. It's well made and works as advertised. I have no complaints with mine. It's very fuel efficient and holds temps well even in cold weather and in rain.

Guys - thanks for your feedback. Jamie has been excellent to deal with and I have no doubt everything you say is true. I'll let you know what I do and be sure to post photos!

Curious if y'all have any issues with the fixed damper - I've heard you can't adjust it. I assume Jamie does this because he's got it tuned just the way he wants it. Will this thing ride at 225 of does it prefer a little higher temp? I'm wondering how low you could get it to run...out of curiosity.

I have a Jambo Economy model and Enclosed model on order. Obviously I think a Jambo is the best smoker made. I've yet to meet anyone who has one be dissatisfied.

Both dampers are adjustable, one just requires a wrench. I've seen it cook hot and low, both with great results. Great bang for the buck.

$1900.00 beats klose & Gator for a 24x48....I have been around the block looking at ALL smokers....Although I'm holding out for a used Klose if another Jambo comes for sale like was advertised here just a month ago....I'm all over it.....PLUS even though Johnny Trigg is a novice....if it's good enough for him................JMHO......

I'd also check out yoder (you probably cant go wrong with jambo, i just thought i'd throw out other options in that price range).

just an fyi- i think lang 48 inch patio is the same size and the same price range.

I looked at Lang first, but when I couldn't get an email answered or photos of hybrids after they were promised by the President to be sent to me I lost interest. Since then I decided I like more traditional offset than a reverse flow. People do seem to love their Lang's for the most part......

I have owned a baby Jambo before and it was a great cooker. One of the most even grate temps from one end to the other that I have ever seen. I also own and compete on several different Lang models so I ended up useing the baby Jambo about 5 times in about 2 years. Another competitor finally talked me into selling it to him....I have really regreted ever selling it even though I didn't use it near enough. In my opinion, you won't go wrong with either the baby Jambo or a Lang 48.

the jambo backyard would be my stick burner of choice. still love my $80 drum though......

Does the Jambo just have one level of cooking grates?

The backyard has a single grate. That's why I added a shelf. The J3 and J5 have a second shelf on the chimney end.

When I was looking at offsets I really liked the looks of the Peoria backyard. Similar price range, insulated firebox, and tons of other options to consider (I really liked the looks of dual SS stacks!). The owner really impressed me, he answered all my questions. They've got a really nice narrated PowerPoint on their website.

I ended up going with a BWS Competitor instead (thank you Andy Bangs!!), but a PCC would be on my short list with Jambo and a couple others for a BY stick burner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

When I was looking at offsets I really liked the looks of the Peoria backyard. Similar price range, insulated firebox, and tons of other options to consider (I really liked the looks of dual SS stacks!). The owner really impressed me, he answered all my questions. They've got a really nice narrated PowerPoint on their website.

I ended up going with a BWS Competitor instead (thank you Andy Bangs!!), but a PCC would be on my short list with Jambo and a couple others for a BY stick burner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
I would second that. I don't have affiliation with PCC whatsoever but when the owner personally calls you to follow up and make sure your questions are answered that means a lot.

Back