• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts

F

Frisco_Smoker

Okay.. so I've got about half a dozen boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer. I was thinking about brining and smoking these little guys, are these worth the effort or should I stick to something with bones and skin?

Sorry couldn't find any previous topics on the subject.

If so.. what temp and how long would you guesstimate?

Frisco, The boneless, skinless chicken breasts work fairly well in the smoker. I do them all the time, usually when I have my smoker going for something else. Brineing is good.

I try to go about one to one-and-a-half hours at low temps-around 225 on the breasts. Start them direct from the fridge, this wil help slow down the cooking and give more time for smoke flavor to develop. If they are brined, they are somewhat forgiving and will turn out moist iven if a little overcooked. I shoot for a internal of 160-165 maximum, which gives me a little headroom on reheating.

qman, I'm glad someone has success with boneless skinless breasts! Every time I try them, they turn out looking like plastic! LOL!

Jeff, to me they are like fatty's, something I always [at least a lot] throw on when I am cooking something else. I like to keep them around for lunches, quick meals, etc. They freeze well, and are great to add protein to a salad--think diet and weight loss.

The main thing with cooking boneless skinless breasts is to get in to the proper zone. You have to start chanting the mantra "do not overcook, do not overcook, do not overcook" as soon as you lite your fire. Works every time:-D

qman said:
The main thing with cooking boneless skinless breasts is to get in to the proper zone. You have to start chanting the mantra "do not overcook, do not overcook, do not overcook" as soon as you lite your fire. Works every time:-D
I'll try that next time.....:biggrin:

I take the breasts, cut them in strips and marinade them with a wet jerk rub, skewer them and then smoke them. It takes about half an hour at about 225. The wet rub has oil in it so the breasts don't dry out too much

Jeff_in_KC said:
qman, I'm glad someone has success with boneless skinless breasts! Every time I try them, they turn out looking like plastic! LOL!

Jeff,
You probably won't believe this but I cook them all the time and
the trick I learned from an old friend was ........get ready for this.
Smear them with mayonaise.
I do that and then sprinkle garlic, pepper, salt, anything you want
on them and they cook really nice.

The first time I heard about the mayonaise thing was with
Johnsonville Brats. I had to experiment and I urge you
to try it.
I took 3 and smothered mayo on them and 3 without.
I could not belive how big and juicy the mayo covered
brats were.
I even do this with drunk chickens and turkey breasts.

FatDad said:
Jeff,
You probably won't believe this but I cook them all the time and
the trick I learned from an old friend was ........get ready for this.
Smear them with mayonaise.
I do that and then sprinkle garlic, pepper, salt, anything you want
on them and they cook really nice.

The first time I heard about the mayonaise thing was with
Johnsonville Brats. I had to experiment and I urge you
to try it.
I took 3 and smothered mayo on them and 3 without.
I could not belive how big and juicy the mayo covered
brats were.
I even do this with drunk chickens and turkey breasts.

when you stop and consider that mayo is 90 + percent OIL, it starts to make sense. The mayo is thick enough to stick to the boobies or whatever while they smoke, lubricating them nicely. I have done this too, and do it a lot with turkey breast and butterflied chickens, but not too much with boneless breasts. Not that it don't work, just that I like to cook them without added fat.

qman said:
when you stop and consider that mayo is 90 + percent OIL, it starts to make sense. The mayo is thick enough to stick to the boobies or whatever while they smoke, lubricating them nicely. I have done this too, and do it a lot with turkey breast and butterflied chickens, but not too much with boneless breasts. Not that it don't work, just that I like to cook them without added fat.

I don't care what 90% of mayo is; I ain't smearing nothing with it. NOT NOTHIN'!!!!

Last edited:
RichardF said:
I don't care what 90% of mayo is; I ain't smearing nothing with it. NOT NOTHING...

Not even a ham sammich?:-D

Mayo smeared tater quarters are good eatin! Slather with mayo and smother with seasonings, man, that's what life's all about.

thing i like to do with this type of chicken breast is pound them out a little so they are an even width all the way through this wy they cook evenly. also try soaking them in some goya mojito!
phil

Kevin said:
Mayo smeared tater quarters are good eatin! Slather with mayo and smother with seasonings, man, that's what life's all about.

also put mayo on the outside bread of a grilled cheese sandwich or pressed or pannini sandwich before grilling. thats real good too.
phil

rookiedad said:
thing i like to do with this type of chicken breast is pound them out a little so they are an even width all the way through this wy they cook evenly. also try soaking them in some goya mojito!
phil

I'm up for that when I'm grilling them. Never noticed a problem with overcooked edges when smoking. Mojito marinade is good!
So is Italian Salad Dressing as a marinade for chicke.

rookiedad said:
phil

That "goya mojito" is interesting, no?

Kapn sent me some in the last sauce trade, and it opened up a whole new world of cooking to me.l

RichardF said:
I don't care what 90% of mayo is; I ain't smearing nothing with it. NOT NOTHING...

AMAZING....Quote from Q-talk 3-29-06

RichardF said:
Coat with mustard before you put the rub on. I don't wrap (I use plastic not foil) until I put in cooler, but as an adult you are free to treat your brisket as you choose. Also - Fork or flexibility test is much more indicative of your brisket being done than temp.

Once when I was 16 working at a Dairy Queen I made a mistake and spread mayo on a bun that should have been mustard.
My boss was standing there and told me to wipe it off and put the mustard on it because mustard would taste thru chit.

So what I gather is you will try mustard but you won't try mayo.
Very Intregalactic if you ask me.

I might try the mayo once or twice, but i'm only eating these little breasts cause I can't eat red meat and pork too often. I'd hate to make a boneless skinless chicken breast toooo unhealthy :)

Thanks for all the tips

Frisco_Smoker said:
I might try the mayo once or twice, but i'm only eating these little breasts cause I can't eat red meat and pork too often. I'd hate to make a boneless skinless chicken breast toooo unhealthy :)

Thanks for all the tips

Miracle Whip my friend....

FatDad said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF
Coat with mustard before you put the rub on. I don't wrap (I use plastic not foil) until I put in cooler, but as an adult you are free to treat your brisket as you choose. Also - Fork or flexibility test is much more indicative of your brisket being done than temp.

Once when I was 16 working at a Dairy Queen I made a mistake and spread mayo on a bun that should have been mustard.
My boss was standing there and told me to wipe it off and put the mustard on it because mustard would taste thru chit.

So what I gather is you will try mustard but you won't try mayo.
Very Intregalactic if you ask me.

It's a texture issue for me that's morphed into one of my few food issues. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would like to spoon mayo from the jar, and eat it like pudding, and that's great, but you'll never see me with the tell-tale mayo-jiz-marks on the corners of my mouth.

Remember, next month is international I hate mayo month and it kicks-off with the annual celebration of Stinko de Mayo.

http://www.nomayo.com/

Last edited:
Back