Brine vs inject vs both

dataz722

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
What are everyones thoughts about brining vs injecting a butt or even doing both?

I was going to throw one in a brine tonight to cook on sat like I usually do but I am considering holding off and just injecting.

I just inject 6 hrs before I smoke it last comp.. we walked so I guess its working

I inject, but brine I think work better, Reason I don't brine take too much time and space up

I am not going to be getting home until about 10 tonight and am not going to want to deal with brining them tonight so I think I might try to injection. So inject then rub and let it sit or let it sit after injection and before the rub?

I would say it would have to be what your protein is. Poultry: Both but prefer brine, Beef: both inject roast and brine/marinade steaks, Pork:both roast I like to inject and chops I brine, seafood: brine.

I don't waste my time using a brine or injecting pork butts. I don't even trim them. I rub them and put them on the heat and enjoy eating them when they are done. They taste great. To me, trimming and injecting is more of a comp thing and, that doesn't necessarily mean a better thing. Seriously, it doesn't.

For me, not foiling the butt during the cook gives better taste results than anything else.

HELP ! I don't have a clue. I brined a turkey once and couldn't really tell the difference but I also injected the bird after the brine.

I generally inject then rub on the same day, maybe an hour prior to going in the smoker.

HELP ! I don't have a clue. I brined a turkey once and couldn't really tell the difference but I also injected the bird after the brine.

Well, you gotta do just one or the other to see which you like better. IMO Brine just adds salt, injecting will add flavor.

For butts I inject and rub both, the night before, then put them in a pan & cover tightly with foil and refrigerate until an hour before cooking. Doesn't make sense to me to brine AND inject. Guys I know that used to brine now inject.

Back