Votes: 21 14.1%
  • Cherry

Votes: 26 17.4%
  • Pecan

Votes: 30 20.1%
  • Apple

Votes: 32 21.5%

• Total voters
apple for me. I've tried cherry and hickory, but can't seem to get a good flavor of of them..fresh dried wood too, not store bought. Can't miss with apple though. Did some chicken with apricot, and that turned out pretty good too.

Hickory, while great is too strong for everything. Apple is great but not on beef. The best one wood would be pecan. It's a little light on beef but it works.

Pecan and cherry for me, but since I could only pick one, I went with cherry.

If I have to pick one its gonna be Apple or Pear. They are the mildest that I have tried, although I hear that Alder is even milder.
The reason being that you can add more wood to get more smoke flavor. You can't take it away if your wood is too strong for the meat in question.

Pine is my favorite...:loco:

But seriously, as much as I love Hickory, it's also very strong, so not as versatile as other woods. These days, I'm using a lot of pecan, so I voted for that. Oak would be my second choice.

Pine is my favorite...:loco:

But seriously, as much as I love Hickory, it's also very strong, so not as versatile as other woods. These days, I'm using a lot of pecan, so I voted for that. Oak would be my second choice.

Agree!!

I usually use apple but I also really like pecan and cherry Sometimes will use a combination of 2 types

Pecan for me. It's the most versatile and not too strong. It helps having a pecan tree that provides me an endless supply. :grin:

i voted pecan because i've got a pile of it that my son brought me. Also a fan of hickory & peach because it was readily available to me in the past.

Would love to have a big ole pile of cherry so i could have voted cherry.

Basically i'm a cheap farker who likes free wood.

I've always been a big fan hickory, but lately my go to has been pecan and cherry. Not so much for flavor but more for color. I can only tell very small differences in taste of different woods. Some folks can tell easily but I can't. Not sure why, but wish I could!

Best combo out there IMO. Pecan and cherry for me also

I'm not sure why so many people voted hickory for all around use. Hickory is so easy to over power foods if you are not careful. To me all around use is something not so strong and not too weak.....just in between.

Back