• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Propane Torch or Burn It

B

BigTone

Hey folks, just got my 55 gallon drum for my first UDS build. Is it easier to use a propane torch to burn off the inside of the drum and the outside paint or should I just build a fire in it? I found a torch at Harbor Frieght and the price is right and it seems faster. thanks for the help, ~Anthony

While I had a big fire going in mine, I hit it with the flame thrower as my boys call my weed burner. Made quick work of the paint that way and satisfied my pyro tendencies at the same time. :wacko:

Sandblast inside and sand outside .Or is anyone here old enough to remember sanding? Steve.

open your air intakes, get 2 or 3 pallets, (free if you look) and then cut them long ways, start a small fire in the bottom of your drum, then add the pallet wood. keep it going till all the paint is off. If you see one side is burning off more then the other, move the wood around. this will take about a hour or so. when done let it cool, then wipe it off with some simple green or oven cleaner.

I have done both methods and have to say the easiest and quickest is the weed burner. It also does a much better job. The bonfire that many do does not do a good job of burning the liner off the bottom or below the intake holes. The weed burner will make quick work of these problem areas. Also, the weed burner is the best way I have found to light the coals in the charcoal basket.

Back