Scoring at a Contest!!!

Cue's Your Daddy

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Here is a 2 part question... What is considered a good score at a contest. 2) What would it take to change your overall score to gain 1 point in your overall scoring..example if u get all 7's in taste. But move 2 of the six scores up to 8, how greatly would that affect your overall score. Or if that was an appearance score how would it change? Didnt know if someone had any idea.

I will give you an example from last week. If I took my lowest score in any category and got a higher flavor scrore from a 7 to an 8, I would have moved up about 5 places. 1 or 2 points is huge in any of the three.

From the KCBS website "Rules and Regulations 2009" document:

6)The weighting factors for the point system are as
follows: Appearance - 0.5714, Taste - 2.2858,
Tenderness - 1.1428.
7) The low score will be thrown out. Results will be tallied

I put the above formulas into a spreadsheet for me to run any of my "WHAT IF" analysis.

App score =.5714
Taste score = 2.2858
Tenderness score - 1.1428

that means taste is weighted just slightly over twice the tenderness score and tenderness is twice the appearance score

App - 1/7th
Tenderness - 2/7th
Taste - 4/7th of scoring

What is considered a good score at a contest.
The one that wins. :mrgreen:

What would it take to change your overall score to gain 1 point in your overall scoring..example if u get all 7's in taste. But move 2 of the six scores up to 8, how greatly would that affect your overall score. Or if that was an appearance score how would it change?
Given the KCBS weighting, it's easy to create a spreadsheet that will calculate scores and run "what if" scenarios -- but that way lies madness.

Your score is both subjective and abstract -- it's simply a tool to determine your placing. Where your placing is depends on the contest -- we've seen 30 points between one place and the next, and also seen more than a dozen teams crammed into a spread of five points.

While we do examine our raw scores for feedback purposes, it's primarily to determine where we need to eliminate 6s and 7s. Going very far down the road of "what if" gets crazymaking unless you have an idea of how to create those bigger numbers.

Depends on all scores from each judged combined.

a 989 is slightly higher then a 897

I just figured it out, and it is a big difference in 1 extra point in taste. Thats how its hard to see how one judge giving you a 9 and another giving you a 5 doesnt effect you even tho it gets dropped. Especially if you are handing in 6 ribs from the same rack in exact order. Can the taste change so much?

Good scores... KCSB-speaking, we always "try" to get a 160 or above in all four categories with hopefully one being 170 or above. That should put you in the top ten in most contests except the Royal, Jack or GAB. 640 or above is a very solid score.

Especially if you are handing in 6 ribs from the same rack in exact order. Can the taste change so much?

Unfortunately, they're all at the mercy of what a particular judge feels is tender, looks good or tastes good. The taste isn't generally changing (with a few exceptions). The taste buds of each judge vary as you go around a table. That's just the world we live in.

From the KCBS website "Rules and Regulations 2009" document:

6)The weighting factors for the point system are as
follows: Appearance - 0.5714, Taste - 2.2858,
Tenderness - 1.1428.
7) The low score will be thrown out. Results will be tallied

I put the above formulas into a spreadsheet for me to run any of my "WHAT IF" analysis.

Wanna sell or license me that spreadsheet! :lol: Sure would be intresting to know.

Good scores... KCSB-speaking, we always "try" to get a 160 or above in all four categories with hopefully one being 170 or above. That should put you in the top ten in most contests except the Royal, Jack or GAB. 640 or above is a very solid score.

There's a lot of regional variations in what constitutes a good score too.. I think we had a previous thread on this but I can't find it.. Seems in the midwest there are lot more total scores in excess of 640 that still will not get you a win. Here in the Northeast, it's very common to see a 620-630 put you in position for GC or RGC with the balance top five being 600-620.

Either the food is that much better or the judging methodology is that much different based on experience, higher standards etc.

There's a lot of regional variations in what constitutes a good score too.. I think we had a previous thread on this but I can't find it.. Seems in the midwest there are lot more total scores in excess of 640 that still will not get you a win. Here in the Northeast, it's very common to see a 620-630 put you in position for GC or RGC with the balance top five being 600-620.

Either the food is that much better or the judging methodology is that much different based on experience, higher standards etc.
You are correect . I guess we just basically suck here in the NE and it is a who doesnt suck that bad to win :roll: Case in point, 3 contests in NY so far the highest score was 666.8574 and it was Hodedo :twisted: :biggrin:

Go KC boy go! :biggrin:

Our last comp, we got a 657 and we finished 9th. But I do think scoring is relative to region.

But then Andy gets a 636.5714 at Lake Placid to finish 2nd. It just doesnt make sense. There should not be that big a difference between 2 contests 1 week apart.

Back