I feel a heart attack coming on! *Pron ahead!*

bproffer

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Heading to a friend to watch the superbowl tomorrow as is our tradition. He is smoking a brisket and a couple tri-tips. I am bringing potato salad, and corn on the cob. Well, with all the hype over the "bacon-explosion" lately, I had to try it for myself.

*Disclaimer* I am no pro and have rarely used the smoker, I am more of a grill kind of guy, but am converting quickly.

Had some friends over to watch the Ultimate Fighting on PPV and thought it was a good time to fire up the Char-Griller offset. While the coals were lighting in the chimney, I started my prep.

Interlaced bacon......check!
Seaoned bacon.....yup!
Italian sausage.......Ok!
More seasoning...Why not!

DSC01633.jpg

Fry remaining bacon.....House is smelling good!

DSC01634.jpg

Mmmmm. not too crispy, but just crispy enough!

DSC01635.jpg

I dont have any fancy rub, but I need some. All I had was Pappy's and some Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ suace. Hope it will work!

Alrighty then.....Bacon on sausage, whats not to like!
More seasoning and BBQ sauce! Friends are starting to get interested now!

DSC01636.jpg

All ready to be put in the smoker!

DSC01639.jpg

I go out and check the smoker after dumping the lit coals on some unlit ones in the firebox. 225 on the dial guage! How could I be so lucky?

I had to keep a careful eye on the temp. I found it a bit hard to control, but overall managed to keep it around 225-230. One time I had a spike to 300* when I wasnt watching good and had melted the foil pan I had my wood chunks in they caught fire.

Here she is half-way through.

DSC01643.jpg

And right out of the smoker! 168* on my semi-accurate, but not a therma-pen, gift from my wife, temp probe (I asked for a therma-pen for Christmas, but its the thought that counts, right?) after approx 2.5hours in the smoker.

DSC01644.jpg

And.....all finished up!

DSC01646.jpg

DSC01650.jpg

I am pretty impressed! It is a bit salty but I think that is due to the rub I used. I need to get something better than pappys! But for the first time smoking in a couple years, I'd say it turned out not so bad! Hopefully everyone tomorrow will like it!

have a buddy whodid this a few weekends ago. They put it on his pellet burner and i guess it turned out great. Said it was like a giant meat loaf.

They loved it.

Dayummmmmm what a beautiful fatty!
I hope you made more than one, rumor has it they vaporize very quickly if ya have company.

bp ma your own rub. Find a basic recipe, try it and then add or remove what you want to.

Fatty on steriods! BP went up 30 points just viewing that beauty. May try painting it again with SBR sauce when you rewarm it today, and it may cut the saltyness. Looks great.

Wow does that look healthy or what...all the basic food groups...Bacon, Sausage, BBQ Sauce and Rub!!!!

Got the fixins to do the same today for the game...

Also going to 4 slabs of backs too!

Way to go! Nice cook!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Just looking at that thing could clog an artery...but I'd hit it in a second!

:eusa_clap

i wonder just how many be's will be made today!

I'm working on one this morning. Debating between using brie cheese and green peppers or cheddar and peppers.

I'm working on one this morning. Debating between using brie cheese and green peppers or cheddar and peppers.

Either sounds good, why not make both, and for crying out loud, add some onion. :icon_cool

Back