• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Competition BARK

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Whether it be on the pork butt or the brisket, how do you like your bark.
What texture?
What Color?
How Flavorful?

Does'nt matter what texture I like it, it's what the judges like. When i figure that out, I'll let you know.:wink:

I think a lot of cooks confuse the term. Where they think that bark means crunchy/burnt outside.... Mine is hardly crunchy or burnt. But is filled with flavors...

Build that bark! To me its the layers of rub and sauce I build up on the meat . Not crunchy and I try to not to make it to dark. All about the flavor

Scottie,

Do all the pieces you turn in have bark - or do you mix it up a bit for turn in?

Monty, think of a painting... Does it look better with all one color on it or is it more appealing if you have multiple colors? I find that it 'pops' more if you have distinctive pieces and colors...

Enough though, as I know Sled and Pat are keeping notes.... :shock:

I think a lot of cooks confuse the term. Where they think that bark means crunchy/burnt outside.... Mine is hardly crunchy or burnt. But is filled with flavors...

That's the route I take with mine...

Getting a little paranoid aren't we????:roll:

nah, they've just been asking direct questions lately... :shock:

And for those that know me and talk to me in person, I am very open with cooking techniques.... People helped me and my way it to pay it forward... Might not be my number 1 recipe, but it's a recipe... :twisted:

Oh, did I tell you whipped cream? I usually say Miracle Whip... See I have to keep track of who I tell what... Less follow-up questions that way....

Monty, think of a painting... Does it look better with all one color on it or is it more appealing if you have multiple colors? I find that it 'pops' more if you have distinctive pieces and colors...

My secretary is taking notes now. Team Brew-B-Q had a budget increase and hired some nice ladies to keep track of things. :biggrin:

does anyone find that "if" they foil that the barks apperance is lessend a bit? mine seems to need another round on the smoker prior to slicing.

Podge is taking notes too !:mrgreen:

I've never really paid much attention to bark since its not a category for judging. I balance flavors, make sure its moist, and make that box look purty.

You don't think that bark can play in the appearance score? I take from a specific part, just for it's appearance and texture of the bark.

And for those that know me and talk to me in person, I am very open with cooking techniques.... People helped me and my way it to pay it forward... Might not be my number 1 recipe, but it's a recipe... :twisted:

Any port in a storm for us wanna bees:smile: Know I repeat myself but I LOVE this site! You folks are great!

Paying forward is a great way to view things:-D Try to do the same in life but unfortunately can't really help much with Q...hopefully someday...

I get it.
Bob Ross MOD...
Thanks Scottie :tongue:

Back