Where do you buy meats?

T

The Train

Just getting ready for my first 4 meat compete. I know in some you have to present still in cryovac to keep people from pre-injecting. This one you don't (IBCA).
So, the question: Is it worth going to a butcher & paying $$$$ for meat? I know a lot of folks buy Smart & Final, Costco, etc.
What say you? BTW, can you give me your thoughts on both cryovac & unwrapped? Thanks!

I think the butcher is only the ideal option if you are looking for a specifc grade (ex. prime) or type/brand (ex. dry/wet aged,Waygu, Angus, Berkshire, Bell & Evan's) that you couldn't get at another location.

Paying your butcher a premium for basic grade like choice is just a waste of money and you may not get the weight or size you are looking for if you go to pickup right before a contest.

on the other hand, if you and the butcher have a great relationship and the butcher truly understands your needs then it may be worth some bucks extra $ for the time saved not having to do the grunt work yourself.

I think the butcher is only the ideal option if you are looking for a specifc grade (ex. prime) or type/brand (ex. dry/wet aged,Waygu, Angus, Berkshire, Bell & Evan's) that you couldn't get at another location.

Paying your butcher a premium for basic grade like choice is just a waste of money and you may not get the weight or size you are looking for if you go to pickup right before a contest.

on the other hand, if you and the butcher have a great relationship and the butcher truly understands your needs then it may be worth some bucks extra $ for the time saved not having to do the grunt work yourself.
But let's face it. Is their really such a thing as a "Prime" brisket?

I buy mine from a C.A.B. distributor, who also sells meat to high-end restaraunts here in town. They can get me whatever meat I want, whenever. Totally happy with them.

Restuaruant Depot and very happy with them. They get what ever I want. They also help out in time of need like a Benefit.

But let's face it. Is their really such a thing as a "Prime" brisket?

Yes there is ... smoked a Prime Gold Packer Brisket at Hudson Valley Rib Fest, New Paltz,NY ...bought it at Vincent's Meat Market, Arthur Avenue, Bronx, NY....

Was it good...UBet!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Last edited:
Family owned and run butcher for me. Their prices are very close to the mega marts that have all but killed the family run businesses. And there is no comparing the service I get.
Support the little guy!

I'm smoking a 13.8 lb Packer Corned Beef Brisket (Pastrami mod)at this time that I got at Restaurant Depot....Looks great...

Aging two 16 lb Packers I got at Restaurant Depot...

Some ribs and butts.... and a 4lb wheel of Maytag Blue Cheese(8.45/lb)(was great on the filet of beef last night)

Guess I like Restaurant Depot...

Also like Omaha Beef, Danbury CT and Caraluzzi's, Georgetown, CT(Dave the Butcher rocks...)

Cryovac is the way to go...either from the store or vacu-seal...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Sysco, Sam's Club, and a local butcher shop I've been dealing with for the past 29 years.

sam's seems to have better selection than costco around here, any kc guys around here, correct me if I am wrong, costco does not sell packers.

After having line caught King Salmon (full fish, split side with fishmonger)flown in overnight from Alaska and Canada (with certification) and Prime Packer Brisket from Arthur Avenue, Bronx...I'm not sure it is a good investment...granted I've learned alot since and am a CBJ...I think that the quality get's lost in the KCBS presentation etc...what I thought cranked lost to COSTCO etc... We placed very well, but I think that the judges are tuned in to the rules and taste/quality gets lost in the mix...

JMHO

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Crud. With all the reference to Restaurant Depot, I went online to check them out. Don't have a business license as we haven't started catering....yet.:mad:

My neighborhood butcher.

bimm1x.jpg

solauo.jpg

I can do briskets from Sam's Club but rarely do I find one with enough marbleing like I want it to have. And I can't do chit with Sam's ribs. Terrible shapes and bones sticking out all over the place on the surfaces of the slabs. I go by my ribs at a local meat market and do well almost every time and the final cooked product is always evident from the Sam's ones when we by both and go to tasting them before turn-in.

Crud. With all the reference to Restaurant Depot, I went online to check them out. Don't have a business license as we haven't started catering....yet.:mad:

You can get a free 1 day pass... if you have a Business tax ID number you can do that ... or you can do what I did...I got a letter from the President of the local Rotary Club ..non profit org...I buy supplies for Rotary and BBQ or have a friend with A Restaurant Depot Card ..give you one...or take you along with them...

Good Luck,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

You beat me to the gun Vinny...

Back