Catching up on some pron

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I finally found the memory card adapter so i am catching up on some pron from the last couple of days...

On Friday I sent to a new grocery store, Caputo's Market, to see what they had. I bought some chicken and some nice pork spares, but the find of the day was a special sale on bone in rib roasts. $3.99/lb! I found a nice looing 4 bone roast and cooked it in the FEC for Friday night dinner. I rubbed it with Montreal Steak Seasoning and cooked it at 250 until it was 130 in the center then held it at 140 for an hour.

IMG_4171.jpg
IMG_4172.jpg

Then today, after to rain stopped I did a practice run of ribs and chicken. I trimmed the spares St. Louis style.

IMG_4173.jpg
IMG_4175.jpg

Even though that bbq looks awesome, I would have to go for a big ole' slice of rib roast right now!

Now THIS is a "Friday Night Steak Night" pic good enough for framing! :p

IMG_4172.jpg

Nice job bro...the meats and the pics all look great! :biggrin:

I really need to try a rib roast. So far I've done pig fingers, fatties, butts, and baby backs. Should I try a rib roast first, or should I try a brisket first? What I mean, I guess, is which one is easier?

Thanks,
Bret

I really need to try a rib roast. So far I've done pig fingers, fatties, butts, and baby backs. Should I try a rib roast first, or should I try a brisket first? What I mean, I guess, is which one is easier?

Thanks,
Bret

I think a rib roast is easier since it is a shorter cook. The Poobah has a great recipe for prime rib in the recipe section. If yo follow his instructions you will get great results. You can also cook it the way that I did, which is fairly slow with an extended rest. I cooked mine at 250 until it was 130 internal and then held it in the FEC at 140, but you can cook it to your desired doneness and hold it in a cooler wrapped in towels for a while. The temp will come up a few degrees during the hold time, but I think the hold time helps the meat develop a better flavor.

Ribs and chicken look good Ron, your gonna be trouble this year.....:cool:

I'd have to say that rib roast almost brought a tear to my eye!
Absolutely beautiful!

I think a rib roast is easier since it is a shorter cook. The Poobah has a great recipe for prime rib in the recipe section. If yo follow his instructions you will get great results. You can also cook it the way that I did, which is fairly slow with an extended rest. I cooked mine at 250 until it was 130 internal and then held it in the FEC at 140, but you can cook it to your desired doneness and hold it in a cooler wrapped in towels for a while. The temp will come up a few degrees during the hold time, but I think the hold time helps the meat develop a better flavor.
Good deal. Thanks, Ron.

You know that you're killing me with all the new cool toys you have. Green with jealousy mod.:mrgreen:

How does the flavor of this method compare to the Poopy Style Mod?

RIBS and CHICKEN what a combo and that rib roast is awesome looking almost took a bite of my computer

Well, I have to go get some Windex now to clean the tougne track off the screen!:roll:

That rib roast is making my mouth water Ronnel!!

Cooked to perfection too!!

A work of Art! I think an enlargement of that roast would look good framed right above my computer monitor.

Nice job!

Man if your gonna post food like that don't misplace that card reader!
Great job.

Which Caputos did you go to Ron? I just dropped off sauce samples a few days ago at the big one in Naperville

I rubbed it with Montreal Steak Seasoning and cooked it at 250 until it was 130 in the center then held it at 140 for an hour.

When you say you held it at 140 for an hour, do you mean you dropped the smoker temp down to 140°, or put it in the oven at 140°, or what? I'm really looking forward to trying one of these and I want it to look like the pron in this thread. Thanks.

Back