• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What a Jerk!

sslak

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Jamaican Jerk! Ya Mon!

My first attempt at homemade jerk marinade (and my first documented cook on these forums)! I loosely followed this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZJ7Z9snOaM

It turned out AWESOME...tangy and delicious, the fresh limes make a world of difference compared to what you can buy in a bottle. Seriously...I tasted it out of the blender and I kept wanting to dip my finger back in for another taste! :clap:

The only thing I held back on was the scotch bonnet peppers, I know that's like "the thing" but my fiance doesn't like heat so I used a dried ancho chili instead.

I went kinda nuts and did a 48 hour marinade because we had a busy Saturday planned, I dumped the LEGS in the sauce on Friday night, and kept them in a ziploc in the fridge until Sunday afternoon.

I kept a mason jar of the sauce out of the marinade - gonna save it for JERK WINGS, I think for those I'll kick up the heat!

These went on the WSM at about 320 degrees, cause that's how I roll with poultry, gotta cook hot. I would have liked to get it up around 350 but I got a little excited and put them on too early..didn't wanna finish and have them sitting around getting cold.

These cooked for about an hour and a half, just a small piece of peach wood...didn't want too much smoke.

I'll add another pic later that I took with the Canon for the LEGS THROWDOWN...these are just some cell phone shots.

Raw just put them on, next pic is about 1 hour in, the skin colored up a bit for my final shot..coming when I get back home!

Attachments

• 2013-09-22 16.37.52.jpg
    2013-09-22 16.37.52.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 342
  • 2013-09-22 18.03.31.jpg
    2013-09-22 18.03.31.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 342
It has been a while since I made jerk chicken (in a crock pot :sad: ) Never tried it on the grill. Adding to my list of things to try.

lots of interesting recipes on the site, jerk chicken, curry chicken and goat, cream of pumpkin soup,etc...
thanks for the link.
jon

Oh that looks goooood...))) I've been doing the dry jerk, one of these days i'll try wet.

Back