Do you use a drip Pan in your Kamado

thirtydaZe

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just looking for what others are doing here. I've been using a drip pan in my Kamado, well, always. I set it on my heat deflector, and let it do it's thing. However on a long, overnight cook i notice that the drippings are puddling, burning, and smoking up through my meat a nastier than desired smell.

I used the drip pan to preserve my heat deflector, which is also covered in foil. Am i better off forgetting the drip pan altogether? I know that meat drippings hitting hot charcoal is an enhancement flavor wise, but a burning puddle of who knows what, on an over nighter is proving different.

Doing 2 butts overnight tonight, low and slow. I'll be placing my 2 butts at a party next to 2 other butts from another smoker.

Of course, i want mine to be all gone.:becky:

If you have a heat deflector in the fats going to land on that and burn doing basically the same thing its doing in the pan now. When I use a pan I usually put about a half inch or so of water in it ( not that you really water in a kamodo) and it keeps the fat from burning in the pan leaving the off taste you described.

If you have a heat deflector in the fats going to land on that and burn doing basically the same thing its doing in the pan now. When I use a pan I usually put about a half inch or so of water in it ( not that you really water in a kamodo) and it keeps the fat from burning in the pan leaving the off taste you described.

Bingo! Just a little water in the drip pan helps or wrap your deflector in heavy duty aluminum foil. Depending on what I cook I choose either method.

Always use a pan in the Egg with water in it. I also use a mopping liquid which helps keep liquid in the pan at all times during the cook.

I always use a pan and have not had any complaints on the food taste.

Use pan YES. On a long, low and slow cook I will use the drip pan for the 1st half of the cook to catch the majority of the fat as it renders from the meat (both brisket and pork shoulders). I will take the deflector OUT for the 2nd half of the cook and have the remaining fat hit the coals to help develop a better flavor and bark.

I DO NOT add water to the drip pan. What I have been doing is placing a few large bolts on top of the deflector. Then place the pan on the bolts. WHY? So the drip pan has an "air gap" between it and the deflector. That prevents the fat in the pan from getting too hot and burning. Try it! No water needed, esp in a KAMADO! Often times I collect that delicious golden brown fat for later uses. One good use for pork shoulder drippings is to use some (sparingly) on your ribs BEFORE you foil them. MUCH BETTER than margarine in my opinion!

I place some stainless 3/4" elbows between the plate setter and the drip pan and have no issues.

I place a drip pan as well, but really only to keep the platesetter clean. Sometimes I will add water.

I use a pan, filled 2/3 with water. I keep it that way throughout the cook, usually only have to add a little water at some point. When the butts are done, I take the liquid from the pan, strain it, cool it while the pork rests, remove the fat, and reduce it till thick, then add back to the shredded meat. That liquid is gold.

I feel rather sheepish: I've never used one. With all of these brethren discussing this drip pan, I feel inclined to use one for tomorrow's butt cook.

I use round aluminum foil pan covered in foil for easy clean up.

Like the bolt idea under the pan mtbchip! :thumb:

This is my typical set-up. Plate setter with foil lined deep dish pizza pan. I like to use the little ceramic feet to give me some space between the plate setter and the drip pan, it keeps the grease from burning.

DSC03016rrra.jpg

^^^^Beautiful indeed thirdeye! If I did not know better, I think I'm looking into MY Kamado! (but I don't use electronic gadgets).

Back