Skinless Ducks

HankB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've got two skinless ducks that are thawing in the refrigerator. My son raised them and said his processor preferred to skin them rather than pluck them. (I might have paid extra to have them plucked, but I don't know what the price difference was.)

I've smoked these before using tea and rice after brining then overnight. The recipe seemed most like this one: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1329410&postcount=8

I looked at some threads here and most seem to be oriented toward dealing with the fat in the skin which is not an issue I face. I'm wondering if anyone here can share some wisdom about smoking a couple ducks. (These are just a bit over 2 lb dressed out. Might have gone 2 1/2 with skin.)

I'm thinking of brining again and smoking with the mix of tea, rice and (IIRC) star anise. I could either do them in the WSM or on a rotisserie in the gasser. I was thinking about draping with bacon to substitute for the skin. (Probably difficult to keep bacon in place using the rotisserie.) I'll also stuff the cavity with some orange, apple, onion and garlic. I could also smoke them in a kettle. Not sure I need the talents of the WSM for duck.

Suggestions? Thanks!

Back