View Single Post
Old 02-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #101
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Freddy, I agree with you and with Scottie (oh, he must really be rolling right now), but to date I haven't seen a judge count off because what presented didnt fall into his/her definition of BBQ (but this certainly opens the door wide for a very BROAD definition).

I was, however, more concerned that by changing this rule they've opened it up so wide that truly something that isn't by anyones definition remotely associated with BBQ comes across the table and must be judged as BBQ; heaven forbid it scores well, because it was a) appetizing to look at, and b) very tender and moist, and c) tasted great.

For example, a while back I used to charge judges for sanctioned chili cookoffs, and in the charge I had to help them define what is and isn't chili, and in it I gave multiple references to the difference between chili and say spaghetti sauce (as an example); just because you call spaghetti sauce chili doesn't make it chili. Same for BBQ.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote