Southwest Suggestions

Bigmista

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Ok,

Just found out that they are judging the Southwest anything butt category on Friday evening of my first comp. No desserts and must feature chiles. We need suggestions. Armadillo eggs and ABT's are already on the table. We looking for something out of the ordinary.

Also, they just added a sauce category. For those of you who have either been in the sauce trade with me or were at the bash and tasted my sauce, do you think I have a chance of placing?

Lots of feedback is appreciated!

I think sauce is easy, unless you have to pay to be in the category... put in your best and see how you do!

I have an idea for armadillo eggs that would be a bit different... email me if you want to discuss it... don't know if it will work or not yet.

I have always wanted to try stuffed mushrooms ( morels if available).

I would stuff them with a cheese and chile like japs or serranos. You can go to any heat level. I have never smoked shrooms but I would love to try!!

Just an idea.

Your sauce stands a damn good chance of winning. I'd submit it in a heart beat.

Buy southwest anything but - do you mean any food found in the southwest USA?

quesadilla. Do it all on the grill/smoker. Smoked chicken that has been shredded, cheese of choice (I'd go with a pepper jack, or plain jack), cut the cap off a couple jalapenos remove seeds and veins and smoke/grill until tender and chop. Assemble and finish on grill. Easy, quick, and lots of flavor, lots of presentation options as well. It doesn't get much more southwest than that.

Edit: If you want to cut the heat go with Anaheim peppers or a Poblano that have been roasted, skinned, and seeded.

California?
I would be thinking Chi-Chi (what we call "Purty") food.
Lots of color and textures. Emphasize the Eye Candy.
All the stuff mentioned would work.
A lot of the guys love the stuffed pork loins.
Maybe loins or armadillo eggs in the center with a version of ABTs or other stuffed peppers pinwheeled around the sides?
Just thinking.

Restricted to a 9" turn-in box?
If not, I would really consider a mixed entry if permitted.
The orange slices used on one of the threads would be KEWL.
Some smoked shrimp or seafood for the California crowd?

Should be fun if nothing else.
Keep us posted.

TIM

BrooklynQ said:
Your sauce stands a damn good chance of winning. I'd submit it in a heart beat.

Buy southwest anything but - do you mean any food found in the southwest USA?

I must concur with the esteemed gentleman from Brooklyn - your sauce will go far!

Proprietary Information for sure:

Red Neck BRUCHETTA
This has won first place in competition about 3 times in FBA competitions
What you need! This is not good for you but is sure should be!
Sausage jimmy dean (maple & hot), 2 onions, green onion / chives, 1 tsp of chopped garlic, season salt, liquid smoke, soft butter salted, helmans mayo, real grated pepper jack cheese, Cuban or Italian whole loafs. Hot Peppers to taste (hot or not) Fresh Cilantro

Equal parts Jimmy Dean hot & maple sausage browned dark and dried with paper towel. Onions, chives, peppers simmered till soft and then dried with paper towel.

Mix sausage and onion mixture (mixture must be dry) Season to taste

Mayo mixed with butter & very little liquid smoke to taste, garlic and season salt to taste. Mix in 1 or 2 cans of chopped black olives.

Cut bread not completely thru apply mayo mixture generously to top and bottom & Stuff with sausage mixture and sprinkle lightly with pepper cheese & chopped Cilantro.

Wrap in foil cook at 275-300 f for approx 30-45 min
Hell its good un-cooked

Slice approx 2-3” thick and serve!!!
WOW SMOKIN’ CRACKER BRUCHETTA

Make it your own any way you want I have done many diff variations
Try this it is awsome.

Damn..I retract, that bruschetta sounds farkin good!!

Damn I'm hungry again!

thats the 4th time today

Here are the rules:

Southwestern cuisine is a combination of Spanish, Native American, and Mexican influences. Typical ingredients include onion, tomato, Mexican oregano, cumin, cilantro, coriander and, of course, chilies with the most prevalent being the New Mexico red or green Chile. Southwestern cuisine is also characterized by big, bold flavors. One thing that defines it more than anything else is the Chile pepper. For this Southwestern Anything Butt Category, teams will be allowed to turn in any dish that has a Southwest flair to it and uses Chile peppers. This is not to say that the dish has to be hot, but it does have to use Chile peppers in some form and some amount. Teams are encouraged to be creative and use their imagination in coming up with their dishes. The entry does not have to include meat but if it does you may not turn in any of the 4 KCBS meats (pork butt, ribs, chicken, and brisket) in the BBQ'ed sense. Also, any dish that is so hot it sets the judges' mouths on fire will not be looked on kindly - the idea is to come up with creative dishes that encompass the spirit of the Southwest and use the signature ingredient of cuisine from that region, the chili pepper. The idea is not to make a dish that is so hot that nobody can eat it. We encourage you to have fun with this category and unleash your inner chef. Also, you can be creative with the serving medium - you can use a standard Styrofoam box if you wish, but plates, bowls, platters, etc. are also acceptable; however, we will limit the serving items to a 12 x 18, and any garnish will be accepted. You are responsible for getting your serving trays back. The source of heat is open and all entries must be prepared onsite. If you entry includes meat please present it to the meat inspector as they come around as it must be unseasoned etc. This is a Southwest Dish Category NOT a dessert category so no desserts. Hope you have fun with this!

Damn! I think I need to pick up an italian loaf tonite for...research! Yeah that's it! Research!!

Put your sauce in there. That stuff was excellent!

Dam as the organizer I guess I get to try all the entries. What a job...................haha

Gonna try to put a few lbs. on Arlie!

Back