• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

MSG Seasoned Ground Chuck Cheeseburgers

Why buy msg by mail? Don't they have Accent in the spice aisle of your supermarket?

I purchased this with little thought, saw it on Amazon and decided I wanted to give it a try. Found out about the Accent after the fact, not sure Accent is what I wanted anyway, commercial mix may have been okay, don't know. I wanted to add my own spices to the MSG to get the flavor burst I am looking for.

I purchased this with little thought, saw it on Amazon and decided I wanted to give it a try. Found out about the Accent after the fact, not sure Accent is what I wanted anyway, commercial mix may have been okay, don't know. I wanted to add my own spices to the MSG to get the flavor burst I am looking for.

You don't add spices to MSG, you add MSG to spices. Up to 5% by weight. A tsp per cup of rub is a good measurement. You can even punch it up more with disodium inosinate and guanulate for up to 20x the effect of MSG. Lol, why do you think so so so many people like plowboys, especially the yardbird? It's has them both.

If you stir the mixture with your gun, it will give you the flavor burst or "pop" you are looking for.

Some sort of scientific reaction between the MSG and the metal.

I am not positive but I do Not think Plowboy's uses MSG

I am positive. You are correct in a sense, they do not, but they used to. Also I never said they Currently do. When I said the contain both, which is referring to the disodium insinate and guanulate. If they are used, the FDA requires them
To be listed as "natural" or "other" flavors. MSG doesn't even technically have to be listed if its used if its less than 5%.

I am positive. You are correct in a sense, they do not, but they used to. Also I never said they Currently do. When I said the contain both, which is referring to the disodium insinate and guanulate. If they are used, the FDA requires them
To be listed as "natural" or "other" flavors. MSG doesn't even technically have to be listed if its used if its less than 5%.

You really say a lot but not in a clear concise way. Maybe it is just me but I'm not sure what you feel is truth.

I will never understand why ppl think msg is bad. It's all natural and if you Google it and find the tests that were done with and without some complained of headaches when there was none in the test food at all. I use it in many things including my ruds. 1st place trophies don't lie. And never had a judge complain of a headache. Ppl are funny. It's an old wives tale in my book. Then again some are allergic to everything.

What are ruds? :wink:

You really say a lot but not in a clear concise way. Maybe it is just me but I'm not sure what you feel is truth.
I know what the truth is, I just posted it. If you don't feel it is, your more than welcome to do your own research and find your own TRUTH. Just tryin to help a BBQ brotha out. :tsk:

I will never understand why ppl think msg is bad. It's all natural and if you Google it and find the tests that were done with and without some complained of headaches when there was none in the test food at all. I use it in many things including my ruds. 1st place trophies don't lie. And never had a judge complain of a headache. Ppl are funny. It's an old wives tale in my book. Then again some are allergic to everything.

I finally had to break down and tell my gal that her Durkee rib rub had MSG in it. She really likes the stuff and took it pretty well :wacko:

A bag of MSG? Double cheese fat burgers.....

I hope you'll recover from your heart attack :crazy:

A bag of MSG? Double cheese fat burgers.....

I hope you'll recover from your heart attack :crazy:

I would have to of all the ways to go, this has to be the best. Enjoying a delicious, juicy, flavorful burger. Way better then in a hospital bed at 100 eating celery! Eat and enjoy!

Eggspert BBQ

You don't add spices to MSG, you add MSG to spices. Up to 5% by weight. A tsp per cup of rub is a good measurement. You can even punch it up more with disodium inosinate and guanulate for up to 20x the effect of MSG. Lol, why do you think so so so many people like plowboys, especially the yardbird? It's has them both.

What he said!

If you stir the mixture with your gun, it will give you the flavor burst or "pop" you are looking for.

Some sort of scientific reaction between the MSG and the metal.

Lets not open up a gun law can of worms here haha

There has been a lot of misconceptions about MSG and its health effects, it turns out there is no scientific evidence to backup any of the symptoms people experience after eating it. Very similar to cannabis and its ill effects on health(kills brain cells, causes lung cancer, etc.), its just something people heard, repeated and believed to be true.

If you want a quick video explanation go to 4:30 mark in this video

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv...new-york_lifestyle?search_algo=2#.UPomQWePAik

Some foods you may be surprised has a high MSG content: dry aged steak, aged cheese, tomatoes.

Even comfort food for some people such as Liptons chicken noodle soup contains MSG.

Has anyone had any issues with the MSG (when sprinkled on the surface) making the bark / crust soft or mushy?
Sorry for throwing out such a high tech term as “mushy”.

MSG is also used as a meat tenderizer sometimes, this is why you see it in a lot of Chinese food that uses cheaper, tougher cuts.

Last edited:
MSG is also used as a meat tenderizer sometimes said:
Have read an awful lot about msg and related glutamates, and never heard of any of them being used as tenderizers

Tenderizers normally use enzyemes (like papain in Adolph's brand)

I can't weigh in on the presumed effects of eating msg. I know a few folks who are actually sensitive, or say they are. But I think in their case its only to msg from a manufacturing plant. Not the glutamates found in soy, cheese, sardines, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Its kind of like when you were a kid and said someone farted, regardless if someone did, everyone is going to leave the immediate area and say it stinks. Group think is a crazy thing, which is why I used Marijuana as a comparison, lies can be perpetuated for very long time as long as people repeat it.

MSG is used less and less as a tenderizer now since no one wants it on their food. Today these restaurants prefer to use baking soda since its cheaper and does a faster job at tenderizing, also they can say they used no MSG. The trade off is that the meat loses its flavour the longer you tenderize it.

Try sprinkling MSG sometime on a cheaper cut, dont leave it on too long or it will turn into mush.

Ive been doing a bit of reading and it turns out you are right about MSG not tenderizing meat. I guess I must have used MSG with meat tenderizer in it because it definitely made the meat softer after 15 mins.

Cool experiment. Just for the sake of bbq science, would adding seaweed have any benefit? It has MSG in it (naturally occurring I think). Plus it gives you a bit of fiber !

I also read somewhere that in salt vs. MSG, salt can be worse for you and you only need a fraction of MSG compared to salt.

Back