A Few Mods for My Offset

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been really enjoying playing this little guy since the beginning of summer after discovering the suggested mods for offsets on here and amazingribs.com. I bought it in '04 from Walmart or Kmart for about $160. I quickly gave it to my son when I discovered Traeger in '06. Anyway somehow it came up missing a brace for the legs so I wanted to fix that.

IMAG0590.jpg

I bought some angle and some expanded metal and made the bottom shelf.

04EDF386-orig.jpg

I had some expanded metal left over so I made another charcoal grate

71B48C98-orig.jpg

I wanted to put the thermometers in a more useful place so I shortened the handle and used the old holes for putting two bi-metals

96C14E16-orig.jpg

It already has the deflector plate and the flue was mounted at the grate level from the factory. Next it'll get a new paint job and the charcoal basket will get angle iron corners and will be enlarged to 14"x12".

That should make some fine Q. You'll have fun learning how it cooks.
It's been fun learning so far. Still got a ways to go. I printed out 5 copies of Meathead's BBQ diary. I think i have a system for keeping the fire stocked. Still trying different types of fuel. So far lump with wood chunks is the easiest way to go.

It's been fun learning so far. Still got a ways to go.

Still trying different types of fuel. So far lump with wood chunks is the easiest way to go.

The diary will help in the learning, just remember to make 1 change at a time so you can always back-up to your last point of excellence.

You will find that the lump with chunks will work best with the New Braunfels. It's great that you rescued it and brought it back to life.

Good Luck and keep us posted....

Here is another Cooking log from Weber that I have used

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/cookinglog.html

Also a cooking log for competition, from the Brethren Site here...
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14805

It's great that you're having fun with it. Having fun and making good grub with it is what it's all about.

Back