Seasonings and Spices

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

Jeff - Judging from what i've seen at contests, the spices used at competetion are the same stuff you would buy for use at home. If you can see a spice brand, a lot of competetiors have the rubs etc premade and packaged in unmarked jars, its a brand you'll find in the supermarket.

Are you asking if you would only serve filet mignon to guests while eating hot dogs at home?

Are the spices themselves different? Maybe. Depends. If you're looking to put a different flavor stamp on competetion Q than you would on home Q, then there's the competetion discussion thread. For example, everytime we unbox the honey at a competetion, Phil makes a comment about how he never makes anything that sweet at home. So we're putting a different flavor stamp on comp Q.

Jeff, use the same spices at comp that you do at home. Brandwise that is. Just make sure they are fairly fresh. I throw stuff out at home all of the time. For the most part, spices are spices. There may be some difference spending a fortune on some fancy brand, but not to this palate.

I just raid Jay's kitchen..........

My Wife ( Not my Office Manager ) said she saw an ugly rat roaming the kitchen :lol:

If you are going to cook, and cook well at home or contest does not matter. You should always use the best that you can afford at all times. Why settle for second best at home.

If you are going to cook, and cook well at home or contest does not matter. You should always use the best that you can afford at all times. Why settle for second best at home.

Absolutely. Why the fark would I settle for anything less than what I cook for myself, my family, my neighbors or if I was competing. When I cook at home I'm trying to turn out the best possible product because it only makes me better.

Guess it wasn't a good question... sorry guys.

Quote:

I just raid Jay's kitchen..........

My Wife ( Not my Office Manager ) said she saw an ugly rat roaming the kitchen

Nope, not a rat........just a one eyed pirate with a parrot on his shoulder........ARGH!!!

I buy from the Watkins store or if you do not have on near you they sell them on line at:

http://www.watkinsonline.com/default.cfm

best stuff always fresh.
Trout hit this nail right on the head!! Watkins is top shelf goods at VERY reasonable prices. It's where I've been buying all my cooking spices (kitchen or Q) for over a year now.
Jeff, Ramsey's Feed and Farm Supply (816-884-6622) in H'ville is a Watkins dealer and has most stuff on the shelf, what they don't have on hand they'll order for you.

It's not that it wasn't a good question, Jeff, I think you're just trying to overthink the whole thing.

Instead of trying to guess your reason for competing, I'll tell you mine. The whole reason I want to compete is because I turn out some GOOD que and want to go up against some guys that turn out some EXCELLENT que to see how I rank next to them. That simple. It's an opportunity at braggin rights....and maybe a check to go along with it. Nothing wrong with that but it's going to be all about the way I cook stuff right now. Heck, it's the way I cook right now that made me decide I want to compete. And I'm not gonna change a thing until I figure out how it works for me. If I use Dollar Store spices now then I'll use Dollar Store spices there. If it works for me, so be it. If not, then I need to come home and change some stuff.....after I figure out where I stand. I'm going to be judged on three things, texture, taste and appearance. Will I cook the same at a contest that I do now? Yep. My texture and taste will be the same when I compete as what I cook right now. Now my appearance is a different story. At a cookout around here, one of my buddies could care less about the color or tong marks or anything else, as long as it tastes good. I think appearance is all about "attention to detail". It's about making your stuff look prettier than everybody elses.....no sauce on the lettuce, no lettuce hanging out of the box, the right amount of meat, the right amount of bark with the rest of the pulled stuff, you get my point. That is the only thing that will change from when I do for a neighborhood cook and when I compete.

If your reason for competing matches mine, then you need to take what you do and run with it. Cheap spices, high dollar spices, doesn't matter. Don't change it now. Cook the way you cook and remember the "attention to detail" on appearance. Go up against the rest, find out where you stand and then modify as needed.

I agree with parrohead. I do'nt comp cook but i would think if you are trying to hone your skills and try to perfect something you should try to pull out the stops when you are practicing at home. also i throw spices out all the time. if i have stuff around for any longer than 3 mo. i pitch it. and get new. you dont know how long the stuff sat in a whse before you got it.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

kcquer said:
I buy from the Watkins store or if you do not have on near you they sell them on line at:

http://www.watkinsonline.com/default.cfm

best stuff always fresh.
Trout hit this nail right on the head!! Watkins is top shelf goods at VERY reasonable prices. It's where I've been buying all my cooking spices (kitchen or Q) for over a year now.
Jeff, Ramsey's Feed and Farm Supply (816-884-6622) in H'ville is a Watkins dealer and has most stuff on the shelf, what they don't have on hand they'll order for you.

Thanks, Scott... I'll check them out to try Watkins.

rbinms33 said:

It's not that it wasn't a good question, Jeff, I think you're just trying to overthink the whole thing.

Instead of trying to guess your reason for competing, I'll tell you mine. The whole reason I want to compete is because I turn out some GOOD que and want to go up against some guys that turn out some EXCELLENT que to see how I rank next to them. That simple. It's an opportunity at braggin rights....and maybe a check to go along with it. Nothing wrong with that but it's going to be all about the way I cook stuff right now. Heck, it's the way I cook right now that made me decide I want to compete. And I'm not gonna change a thing until I figure out how it works for me. If I use Dollar Store spices now then I'll use Dollar Store spices there. If it works for me, so be it. If not, then I need to come home and change some stuff.....after I figure out where I stand. I'm going to be judged on three things, texture, taste and appearance. Will I cook the same at a contest that I do now? Yep. My texture and taste will be the same when I compete as what I cook right now. Now my appearance is a different story. At a cookout around here, one of my buddies could care less about the color or tong marks or anything else, as long as it tastes good. I think appearance is all about "attention to detail". It's about making your stuff look prettier than everybody elses.....no sauce on the lettuce, no lettuce hanging out of the box, the right amount of meat, the right amount of bark with the rest of the pulled stuff, you get my point. That is the only thing that will change from when I do for a neighborhood cook and when I compete.

If your reason for competing matches mine, then you need to take what you do and run with it. Cheap spices, high dollar spices, doesn't matter. Don't change it now. Cook the way you cook and remember the "attention to detail" on appearance. Go up against the rest, find out where you stand and then modify as needed.

Richie, thanks for that perspective. That's a great way to look at it that I hadn't really thought of before.

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

I find a supplier that moves a lot of spices, I look the freshest I can find. We have a spice supplier, sales to other big name suppliers across the country.
If I'm spending the money to compete then why go cheap on spices. Figure out what you will use in 4 to 6 mos, it maybe more than you think. Pay attention to the details.

Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

Don't do this with Habanero dust - trust me.[/quote said:
If you do, don't scratch your nards either. Believe me!

Re: RE: Re: RE: Seasonings and Spices

Hoorenga said:
Don't do this with Habanero dust - trust me.[/quote said:
If you do, don't scratch your nards either. Believe me!

Don't fool around with your little lady either. :?

I remember buying cooking wine for something and taking a taste of it. Yettttcccchhhh!

Another Hooism....... :mrgreen:

brdbbq said:
I remember buying cooking wine for something and taking a taste of it. Yettttcccchhhh!

Another Hooism....... :mrgreen:

Ever taste cooking wine? Don't ever buy that chit. Get some good cheap drinking wine.

More on spices:

I used to work in a spice store (many years ago). We sold bulk spices. I remember having to fill the large jars that we kept on the shelves. One thing I noticed was that the quality of the herb from different suppliers varied considerably. Some times it was a freshness issue but more often the varations in quality were the result of the herb itself, where it was grown, which particular variety it was. and how it was handled throughout its processing. Just think of herbs like coffey. There are going to be variations, just make sure it is fresh and that you like the smell and taste of what you are using.

Arlin_MacRae said:
<raises his hand> I'll vouch for Penzey's. GREAT spices and you can buy different box-packs of them. My bro sent me the hot one. Wow.

I'll add a third for Penzey's. I went to their store in the Chicago area (Naperville) to check it out. The place smelled great! They have sooo many herbs and spices in the store, including a lot that I had never heard of. There is a sample of each item in a glass jar so you can smell it and even taste a little (I just poured a pinch into my palm). I bought a bunch of stuff including two of their pre-mixed rubs (All-American BBQ Rub and thier Rib Rub).

Back