Please Educate Me On Buying A Prime Rib Roast

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
The local Albertson's has Rib Roast on sale for $3.97 a LB.

The Ribeye cut is $4.99 a LB

The butcher said if I understood him correctly, that the Ribeye is from the Large end closest to the Loin. This cut can be 7 Bone (maybe More, I did not ask).

The Small end is the Cheaper cut but can only be 3 bone maximum.

Could you explain what this means in English to me?

Why would the small end only be allowed to be cut 3 Bones?

I am assuming the Ribeye cut is the best, they did look better as to a smaller Fat cap and better Marbling.

I am sure they will cut me what size I need, but need to act like I know what I am talking about.

Thanks!!!!

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1887343 said:
The local Albertson's has Rib Roast on sale for $3.97 a LB.

The Ribeye cut is $4.99 a LB

The butcher said if I understood him correctly, that the Ribeye is from the Large end closest to the Loin. This cut can be 7 Bone (maybe More, I did not ask).

The Small end is the Cheaper cut but can only be 3 bone maximum.

Could you explain what this means in English to me?

Why would the small end only be allowed to be cut 3 Bones?

I am assuming the Ribeye cut is the best, they did look better as to a smaller Fat cap and better Marbling.

I am sure they will cut me what size I need, but need to act like I know what I am talking about.

Thanks!!!!
Usually a large end rib roast has multiple smaller muscles,and comes from the end closest to the chuck. A small end roast contains just the loin eye muscle from the end closest to the loin.

When Albertson's was in Memphis, I avoided them like the plague.

I know what you mean! I do get along real well with one of the Butchers there. He owns an Egg so we have something in common.

We are going to have about 10-12 people over for dinner. The $4.99 per Lb for the Ribeye cut is okay, if the best choice. We are going to do a $10.00 per person donation. Full Prime Rib dinner with Baked Potato, Bread and another side, pretty good for $10.00

I think the simplest way for me to ask what I am looking for.

What should I tell the butcher I want him to Cut me???????????

I'd tell him you want enough small end to feed the amount of people you have coming over... If it's two roasts, I think you are better off doing two small ends. If some guests prefer their meat more done than others, this might give you flexibility to accomodate both.

I usually buy the whole boneless when I get ribeye. When I do want to go caveman, I get a two or three bone loin end.

On edit, a three bone is enough for two meals between Redhot and me.

Rib roast cut from the loin end. I usually cook 1/2 to 3/4 pound uncooked weight per person. But. I also don't slice it 1" thick when I serve it.

I usually buy the whole boneless when I get ribeye.

I guess I do not understand. I thought one end was the Ribeye and the other end the Loin.

How do you mean you buy a whole Ribeye?

Sorry, I am a little confused with this cut (Prime Rib) in general. They do have the Prime Rib sold as a whole in the store too.

It's all rib roast but one end is near the front (near the shoulder) and the other near the back (loin). The loin end is usually more tender than the chuck end.

If it's bone in it's a standing rib roast. If the bones are removed it's sometimes called a rolled rib roast. You can usually feed 2 people per bone from a standing rib roast.

^^^^^ Yep, a whole boneless ribroast is what I get. I usually cut the whole into individual steaks on the shoulder end and a small roast on the loin end.

It's all rib roast but one end is near the front (near the shoulder) and the other near the back (loin). The loin end is usually more tender than the chuck end.

Thanks Boshizzle!

So if I ask for the back end (Loin) that would be Ribs 10-12 per the reference below from "Serious Eats".

Correct?

Would someone clarify which cut Albertsons is selling as the Ribeye? Ribs 10-12?

I feel thicker in the head than a 2X4 about this.:doh:

• Ribs 6 through 9, which comes from closer to the cow's shoulder (aka the chuck) are referred variously as the "chuck end," "blade end," or "second cut." It's got more separate musculature, and more large hunks of fat. Personally, I prefer this end, because I like to eat the fat in a well-roasted piece of beef. If you prefer leaner, more tender beef, then go for...
  • Ribs 10 through 12, taken from further back and known as the "loin end," "small end," or "first cut." It's got a larger central eye of meat, and less fat.

Both ends will be tender and delicious. So, don't sweat it, bro. The loin end is a cleaner looking piece of meat with 2 muscles compared to three muscles on the chuck (shoulder) end.

Chuck end has 3 muscles and and the loin end is made of two muscles.

The loin end has the most fat and less connective tissue because it is made up of two muscles rather than 3 and it runs for about 3 rib bones as you move towards the shoulder and then you get into the area near the chuck.

Now this is the way I understand it. (Subject to change due to my ignorance) A full standing rib roast is 7 ribs. How you slice it depends on the butcher. And/or the customer. I buy the best quality I can find. Prime over choice over select. I once got some USDA prime, private reserve rib steaks from Smiths in Elko, Nv. to this day the best steaks I ever had. Really OMG. Well worth the couple extra bucks per pound.

:clap2:
I am enjoying this thread as I am Not to much in the Know about cuts of meat I know basic But I go to this Dang thing Alot to help !!!:shocked::shock::rolleyes:

beef_map.gif

I don't think anyone really knows nowadays but the steaks cut near the chuck end of the rib roast are known as Delmonicos and the steaks cut near the loin end are rib-eyes according to some. But, Steven Raichlin refers to a Delmonico as a Rib-eye in his book How to Grill.

Some authorities refer to any cut from the rib roast as a Delmonico and some call any cut from the rib roast a rib-eye. In my town, a Delmonico is a rib-eye and a rib-eye is a Delmonico.

Here is a good reference. - http://www.steakperfection.com/delmonico/Steak.html

To me, the difference is in the muscles. If it has two muscles it is a Rib-eye. If it has 3 muscles it is a Delmonico. But, if I buy a steak labeled as a Rib-eye regardless of how many muscles make it up I go with with the name Rib-eye. Who cares? It's all delicious.

Back