the ultimate pot to cook chili!!

pinkelephant

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I found the ultimate chili pot!!
I fired up my 18 quart electric roaster. put water in the bottom and placed the cooking pan over the water and then set it for 200F.
I cooked a pot of chili down so much that I had to add more tomato juice to juice it back up. it was bubbling around the walls and nothing burned. I even went for 2 hours unattended with it bubbling away. I emptied the pot and the only thing crusted was the dried stuff on the sides over the fluid level. the pics of the pan are after rinsing only. no scrubbing yet.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

oh yeah, and the chili was awesome!!
I am rebuilding a 15 year old competition chili recipe from my late ex wife (died 9 yrs ago). We used to enter this Mexican chili in chili cookoffs back then. Her daughter has all the awards. Her daugher helped me reconstruct the recipe. more on that after I fine-tune the recipe

I have used my roaster to make chili. You are right, it works great and cooks slow without burning. I will use it if I am going to make the large of a batch.

I also have a slow cooker with a ceramic insert that works nicely and is a bit smaller.

I use V-8 (or the WalMart equivalent) instead of tomato juice. It adds a bit more wake-up to the chili. I get enough tomato flavor from the tomato paste I use.

Looking forward to your recipe post.

Here is mine :

I start with a large onion. I dice it and put 1/2 of it a deep pot if I am cooking the chili on the stove or an iron skillet if I am cooking the chili in the slow cooker. I sweat the onions until they are clear and start to caramelize.

If using the iron skillet, I remove the onions to cook the meat. Otherwise I leave them in the pot and cook the meat in the iron skillet.

I brown 1-2 pounds of ground beef in the skillet seasoned liberally with salt and black pepper (I prefer fresh ground pepper)

In the pot or slow cooker I combine "petite diced tomatoes", tomato paste, the V-8 and the previously cooked onions. I add the rest of the onions (I find having the onions both cooked and raw adds some nice flavors).

I add sugar to cut the bite of the tomatoes. I also add either chili beans or kidney beans. (depends on what the store has in stock). When using kidney beans, I use half light red and half dark red.

I then season the sauce with chili powder, salt and pepper. When it tastes almost right, I add a little more chili powder. (I prefer the "orange" colored chili powder instead of the "darker red-brownish" colored chili powder)

Then I add the ground meat and re-taste.

Cook for several hours if possible, checking taste after the first hour to see if more seasoning is needed. I don't really measure the seasoning as two batches of chili never seem to take the same amount of spice.

That's about it.

Beans may not be everyone's way but thats how most Northerners have learned to make it, so in my attempt to ween myself from all those beans floating around which seems to draw so much attention as being a no no, I run them through a food processor until they are almost completely unreconizable(?) and blend them into my chili, it helps make for a nice thick sauce as well.

As a lover of both chili and cooking, I have to ask: What's the benefit to this method vs just using a crockpot?

It's Mexican chili. Pintos baby!

I'm trying to recreate a lost recipe from the past
the daughter had full control of the ingredients on this cook. she did it the way her mom tought her.

I have a mild kitchen version of our old compition chili. Thanks to my late ex's daughter, I'm real close to what we cooked for competitions. I will share the next steps from here.

this is the kitchen version (mega batch) shared from mother to daughter before she died:

(Mother and daughter don't measure anything. I had to control the ingredients to measure everything that happened.)

1.5 lbs brisket
three cans 28 oz hunts diced tomatoes
one 28 oz can crushed hunts tomatoes
3 cans bush's best seasoned pintos
2 cans bush's best pintos
3 onions
64 oz low sodium (its all they had) tomato juice
3tsp minced garlic
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
3/8th cup mc cormics chili powder

this made a mild, child friendly pot of chili and stirred some memories of what it used to be. I need more cumin and more heat. I will let you know how the tests go. I already have a freezer full of my usual chili so this will be a winter-long experiment

As a lover of both chili and cooking, I have to ask: What's the benefit to this method vs just using a crockpot?
I either cook for groups or for the freezer. the crock is too small and too slow for me

Recipe looks pretty good, and similar to mine BTW... I recently had what I classified as the "WORST" chili in my entire life, and I ain't no young un. I asked the cook what was in it. From my recollection... Hamburger, Beans in chili sauce, Van Camp beans, tomato paste (needed to thicken it up a bit), tomato juice, chili powder, onion powder, and the secret ingredient... 64 oz bottle of ketchup.:puke: Cheers!!!

Beans may not be everyone's way but thats how most Northerners have learned to make it, so in my attempt to ween myself from all those beans floating around which seems to draw so much attention as being a no no, I run them through a food processor until they are almost completely unreconizable(?) and blend them into my chili, it helps make for a nice thick sauce as well.
I didn't have that problem in yankee comps but I've heard of comps that only wanted to see meat onions and juice. everything else got blenderized

I think since it has beans, it can only technically be called "soup" in TEXAS. :razz:

Seriously though, the weather here is just starting to change(somewhat)..
and I do see a chili fest in the next few weeks.

It's Mexican chili. Pintos baby!

I'm trying to recreate a lost recipe from the past
the daughter had full control of the ingredients on this cook. she did it the way her mom tought her.

I have a mild kitchen version of our old compition chili. Thanks to my late ex's daughter, I'm real close to what we cooked for competitions. I will share the next steps from here.

this is the kitchen version (mega batch) shared from mother to daughter before she died:

(Mother and daughter don't measure anything. I had to control the ingredients to measure everything that happened.)

1.5 lbs brisket
three cans 28 oz hunts diced tomatoes
one 28 oz can crushed hunts tomatoes
3 cans bush's best seasoned pintos
2 cans bush's best pintos
3 onions
64 oz low sodium (its all they had) tomato juice
3tsp minced garlic
3 tsp cumin
3 tsp salt
2 tsp pepper
3/8th cup mc cormics chili powder

this made a mild, child friendly pot of chili and stirred some memories of what it used to be. I need more cumin and more heat. I will let you know how the tests go. I already have a freezer full of my usual chili so this will be a winter-long experiment

Sounds good!

And Yep. If I use beans in chili, it's ALWAYS gonna be pintos. I usually start from dried beans though.

Me too, start from dried beans.
AI use more variety of chilies too, but I commend you for a recipe that doesn't have a bucket of sugar and read like a dessert item from my culture's point of view!:p
This recipe I would enjoy for sure!:clap2:

Me too, start from dried beans.
AI use more variety of chilies too, but I commend you for a recipe that doesn't have a bucket of sugar and read like a dessert item from my culture's point of view!:p
This recipe I would enjoy for sure!:clap2:

Um...sugar? In chili? Heresy!!!

Y'all should see what they call chili in Cincinnati... served over spagetti noodles! :shock:

Tell me about it. My brother sends me Skyline at Christmas every year. Dog food in a can and the whole 5 ways from Sunday is odd.

Texas red for this Maine-iac ain't got no beans.

Back