Time to stir the kcbs bod pot again!!

Some communities are banning styrofoam clamshells. We tried some of the paper ones and they were crap. The biodegradable plastic ones we use are very sturdy.

I have heard some people claim that assigning definitions to each number is a bad thing. I like the above better than using "average" but in either method, I've heard the argument that especially with new CBJs and those they pull in off the street and celebrities, those folks tend to think that if there is average or satisfactory on the scorecard, they're doing the cook a favor by giving them a 7 (very good or above average) when in fact, it deserves an 8 or 9. This is a tough one. I'd need to see a lot of input and pro's/con's on this issue before I'd take a stance.

Some communities are banning styrofoam clamshells. We tried some of the paper ones and they were crap. The biodegradable plastic ones we use are very sturdy.
I guess you and I need to learn HOW to cook before we complain about clam shells.

My point is that my opinion on clam shells was not one that I was alone in. Telling someone that they need to learn how to cook first is petty, not addressing a concern but I can see your side as well. The BOD needs all kinds of personalities. I like to look at the big picture and value the concerns and feelings of the masses and not be quick to point and say, you need to do this or that before you have any opinion at all.

My point is that my opinion on clam shells was not one that I was alone in. Telling someone that they need to learn how to cook first is petty, not addressing a concern but I can see your side as well. The BOD needs all kinds of personalities. I like to look at the big picture and value the concerns and feelings of the masses and not be quick to point and say, you need to do this or that before you have any opinion at all.

I've gone out of my way to NOT campaign on personalities and stick to the issues, but if that got under your skin then I wish you luck if elected. People you've never heard of will line up to take their shots. It's probably not the way it SHOULD be, but that's the way it is. Best of luck to you.:becky:

George, I appreciate your comment. I didn't take any comments personally. Some comments appear very pointed at pointing out weaknesses that are perceived and not actually known. It is very easy to do via a forum and I understand that this just happens to be the nature of the beast.
No foul, no harm.

Learning how to cook has nothing to do with Clamshell's but if Clamshell's are a real issue ( and none of this Kumbya' stuff that was posted earlier) then what a knuckle head I'am for wasting my time both here and my money to KCBS.

In the Pacific NW, I can see no styrofoam becoming an issue, but in the states were KCBS has a strong hold, I doubt that is the case. Perhaps the most "ungreen" sport you could be a part of is a cook off.

As a cook, measure your box, trim accordingly and cook.

Maybe if I got caught up in the minuta ( such as my box being a 1/4 inch off), I'd have a GC by now but to Jeff in KC's point, I find ths styrofoam subject absurd.

Here's a curveball..

KCBS has almost no presence in Texas, a state with a huge BBQ history and many, many cook teams with deep pockets. There are possibly as many cook offs in this state every weekend then are sanctioned by KCBS across the US.

What do the canidates think can be done ( if anything) to get KCBS a stronger presence within this state? PS - there is a great window, NOW, just after Sam's did three cook offs here.

Dude I think folks have been holding back on ya
On another well known bbq community you would have been roasted by now
Best of Luck to you

Because judge #6 is the furthest from the norm, and most likely to be less accurate than the other five. Sometimes losing the toss is painful.

Personal evidence: I cooked Sam's Club in Austin with Two Worthless Nuts. We tied for 7th, and lost the tie breaker. Solution? We needed to cook better. I think you probably know the head cook since he was in Shelby this weekend.

A change in weighting applies to EVERYONE. As a result it's more fair to everyone since judge 6 can't taste every sample.

Yes the 6th judge is the furtherst out but why not use that judge first instead of going back to the 5 who resulted in a tie.

Yes, I know Rob. and he needed to cook better in Shelby too.

Yes, changing the weighting does apply to everyone. But my question was have they changed the Appearance weight already. There have been a larger number of ties of late and that is what has me wondering. The reason given for doing it was to eliminate some of the ties, wondering if it has done the opposite. :-o

I like it boogie. Something like this maybe?

9 superior
8 excellent
7 very good
6 satisfactory
5 needs improvement
4 unsatisfactory
3 bad
2 inedible/unsafe
1 disqualified

Ok, lets say you use these words where can the judge find the definition for each. What is satisfactory, what needs improvement? If you have 5 instructors teaching judging classes then you need something that says what each name means so it is taught the same way by each instructor not just his opinion of what it is because you then end up with 5 different definitions.

I have heard some people claim that assigning definitions to each number is a bad thing. I like the above better than using "average" but in either method, I've heard the argument that especially with new CBJs and those they pull in off the street and celebrities, those folks tend to think that if there is average or satisfactory on the scorecard, they're doing the cook a favor by giving them a 7 (very good or above average) when in fact, it deserves an 8 or 9. This is a tough one. I'd need to see a lot of input and pro's/con's on this issue before I'd take a stance.

Oh come on now Jeff, Stand up, I will tell you it is close but needs work. But it has to start with the instruction judges get on what each one means. Has to be standard.

I've replied and edited that because I misunderstood your post. One thing I want to see if elected is more membership involvement. What would you do if elected? I know that we made a choice to run for office, but since you've held our feet to the fire, why don't you tell us what you'd like to accomplish. Fair is far.

I want to see this orginazation continue to grow and move in a positive direction. But that has to be with some control not a rubber stamp. That cant be done if the board cant work together towards that comman goal. There needs to be more involvement by the membership in the whole process.

And TOY should be getting some real cash and recognistion for there accomplishment beyond a picture in the bullsheet.

And do away with garnish!!:eusa_clap

Oh come on now Jeff, Stand up, I will tell you it is close but needs work. But it has to start with the instruction judges get on what each one means. Has to be standard.

I have to assume that was a bit of sarcasm there. Why would I jump into an answer or propose/support one on the board without first doing my homework and feeling comfortable with the proposed solution?

Yes the 6th judge is the furtherst out but why not use that judge first instead of going back to the 5 who resulted in a tie.

Yes, I know Rob. and he needed to cook better in Shelby too.

Yes, changing the weighting does apply to everyone. But my question was have they changed the Appearance weight already. There have been a larger number of ties of late and that is what has me wondering. The reason given for doing it was to eliminate some of the ties, wondering if it has done the opposite. :-o
System was changed to eliminate all the perfect 180 ties (not many of them in meats anyway). If there's a tie where it's not a perfect 180 (all 6 scores) then the tie breaker goes to the 6th judge, then to taste, tenderness and finally appearance. Very sledom do they use the coin flip to break a tie.

I have to assume that was a bit of sarcasm there. Why would I jump into an answer or propose/support one on the board without first doing my homework and feeling comfortable with the proposed solution?

Yes it was, trying to keep it on the lighter side too. :becky:

Roy and Todd, I'm not sure where knowing what it takes to put on a contest is as vital as a solid knowledge of geography, some idea of team density and what's fair and the right thing to do, but I can see your point. What happens then if a contest in question happens to be in an area where the sole member of the committee who is an organizer is from? Approving or denying the sanctioning (or recommending or failing to recommend) might prove to somehow create an advantage for the committee member who is the organizer in the area in question. I think there is a very workable solution to the sanctioning approval process and we're definitely on the right track in this thread!

Understood on the bias issue, but bias can exist with cooks and judges, too. How is a cook voting for or against a contest in his home town any different than the organizer doing it? My point is that corruption in the process is no more likely from an organizer than it is a cook, judge or rep. We all have our own self interests. You as an organizer know all of the things that have to align to do a contest well. Picking the right weekend is one of those. I wouldn't leave it up to a bunch of cooks and judges... and that's me speaking as someone how only cooks.

There are ethical/character risk issues, but if the KCBS membership has proven anything, it is that we will publicly pull you out on the carpet and flog you into a bloody pulp for the slightest of infractions. Hell, we'll disqualify you if you have a spec of foil in your box.

I want to see this orginazation continue to grow and move in a positive direction. But that has to be with some control not a rubber stamp. That cant be done if the board cant work together towards that comman goal. There needs to be more involvement by the membership in the whole process.

And TOY should be getting some real cash and recognistion for there accomplishment beyond a picture in the bullsheet.

And do away with garnish!!:eusa_clap

Explain why <1% of the overall cook teams deserve cash at the end of the year? Not saying I agree or disagree. I can see two sides to this one.

I hope KCBS never eliminates garnish. Personally, I think it is fine right where it is.

Back