Suggestions on a grill

gaspipe1

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Seems my Coleman is dead after only 4 years. So here is my plan on a replacement.. a Weber Genesis S-330, which I think I can get for $820 shipped.

But for some reason my heart is yearning for a charcoal grill and do away w/gas. Does anyone know of a good substitute for a gas grill like the S-330?

-Some things I like is a 300-500" grilling surface
-Simple to clean and regulate for temps
-Something that will be able to snuff out the coals when I'm done to minimize waste.
-I'm thinking a budget of $500
-I'm already using an UDS for low and slow.. so I want something more for grilling.

I know Yoder has a nice looking grill the Abilene for $500. I just have not been able to find any reviews on it. Any info you grilling farkers can provide will be appreciated.

BTW even if the answer is that "everyone should have at least one gas grill for burgers and dogs" that is fine also. I just wanted to know if there is a charcoal grill that is almost as convenient as a Weber gas grill. TY again

Weber 22 inch. Anything it won't handle, The WSM will.

I have not used my gasser for over a year +. And I'm thinking of selling it. But I feel your pain, I know it's there if I need it.

Your grilling area puts a damper on things. I absolutely love my Weber Performer. It grills, it smokes, it's just a little smaller that you requested. If you really need that much just add another kettle to the mix. All for under $500

-I'm already using an UDS for low and slow.. so I want something more for grilling.

Mod the UDS by making a smaller charcoal basket and add another rack to set it on below the cooking grate. Cheap mod and save the kackle for food and beer.

Cheers

I just purchased a Weber Genesis E-310; Wallyworld site-to-store free, with tax was $697.

My UDS actually has a lower rack that was intended for a pan if needed. I have used it once as grill grate to cook up some skirt steak. I couldn't get it too hot but it was my fault.. I never cleaned out the ashes under the firebox from the last two cooks. I will try that again next time I smoke something and then need to cook some burgers and such.

I think I want something a lil easier to manage for grilling. But ty for the idea, especially when someone is try'n to save me money.

Mod the UDS by making a smaller charcoal basket and add another rack to set it on below the cooking grate. Cheap mod and save the kackle for food and beer.

Cheers

I do like the Weber Performer.. Especially the part about the gas starter and the table is always nice. I even saw one (could be a mod) with a normal propane tank in place of the coal bucket.

The 26.75" is defiantly a possibility. It could be that I'm just attracted to that bad ass look of a big "Texas style grill" lol.

If anyone has any opinion on Yoder Grill or other similar grill please let me know.

I do like the Weber Performer.. Especially the part about the gas starter and the table is always nice. I even saw one (could be a mod) with a normal propane tank in place of the coal bucket.

The 26.75" is defiantly a possibility. It could be that I'm just attracted to that bad ass look of a big "Texas style grill" lol.

If anyone has any opinion on Yoder Grill or other similar grill please let me know.

Yoder, pfftt. Why pay all that money for a purpose built piece of equipment when you can get a barrel, some bolts and a grate and do the same thing?

I recently bought a Weber Performer (Blue) and absolutely love it. I hate to admit it but my large Egg is getting a little jealous. The Performer has enough work table to prep stuff. The grill is larger enough to cook direct and indirect. It's just a lot of fun for me.

Weber's warranty and customer service is world class!!

Personally, I'd go with the with the 26.75" Weber One-Touch Gold just for the larger grilling surface. If you want more bells and whistles, go with the Weber Performer.

Check out Meco. Their in house brand is Aussie. Very well built and the price is good.

Char-griller was a great grill for me. 600 square inches or so and less than 150 bucks. I've had it for 9 years and it still keeps on ticking.

I honestly think that the big 26.75" weber kettle is a little over-priced, and you can't beat the economy and versatility of having a couple of Weber 22.5" kettles.

My first one was a OT Silver, and my second one, a Gold. It was a craigslist find for only $50, but it's worth every penny over the cost of the silver. I've got a Side Table attached to the Gold, and a Slide-Aside lid accessory as well that's easily removable. One of the two grills is always ready, even if the other one is just being used to store tools, my extra wsm grate, etc. That's my set-up: the OTS, OTG, then my WSM. I only wish I had another wsm.

I love my Weber Genesis natural gas. It is great just to zoom out and toss on a steak or a burger without going through the whole charcoal thing...

I am a fan of the Weber kettle. I would like to pick up the 26" grill myself and also like the cool features of the performer. I personally would lean towards the 26 for the extra room.

I have a genesis gasser, a UDS, a WSM and a 22.5 OTG. If you already have a smoker - nothing beats the convenience of a gasser. I highly recommend the genesis series from weber.

The Weber Performer is top notch. I have a 22.5" OTG and I LOVE it! If you want the extra space get the 26.5". I can't imagine you not being happy about that. However, you could get the 22.5" OTG and get a little bit cheaper gasser and have it all. :thumb:

Back