• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

HELP!!! Gone with the wind...

U

Uncle Rockstar

Hey Guys! I need some assistance here. I am experimenting for my first amatuer rib competition on Saturday and am having a heck of a time keeping temperature steady with the wind.

I am using an old round brinkman smoker and we have 30-35mph winds... is there some sort of inexpensive BBQ blanket I can put around my Brinkman to shield it from the wind?? I don't want to cut off all my air but I really need to minimize air flow.

Cheers!
Uncle Rockstar!

Not sure anout a blanket.I have seen some build a windscreen out of scrap plywood and 2x4s.

Thanks, I was thinking about the plywood or just an old school metal garbage can with the bottom cut out.......

won't the blanket burn???

Thanks for everyone's input!

Cheers!

I stacked some cinder blocks and closed in 3 sides to help my WSM and ProQ deal with our windy days. It will work with the Brinkman too cuz I've worn out several of them in years past.

You probably could simply tape a couple flaps made of cardboard on the smoker just above the vents to shield them from the wind.

I have similar issues with a couple propane burners I use for making beer. When it's windy, I lose a lot of heat between the flame and the bottom of my kettle. One good fix for this problem is a width of aluminum flashing formed into a circle that wraps around my burner just up to the bottom edge of my kettle. I'm sure a similar setup could be made for a smoker as well.

Back