Contest Announcment St. Louis River Rub - St. Louis, MO - October 7-8, 2011

Southern Home Boy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey y'all. Not sure if this is an "announcement" or not (though I haven't seen anything in here yet about this particular comp) and it's still a buncha months away, but I was wondering what y'all thought?

Here's a link to the site:
http://www.stlriverrub.com/

Looks like some pretty serious scratch going to the winners. And a fair number of opportunities. Seems almost like TOO much prize money, but at $300.00 a pop to enter, maybe that's the catch.

Thoughts?

I saw this on the KCBS website yesterday. It is definitely on our radar, and if the Redbirds happen to make the postseason and happen to be playing that weekend, the potential for us to attend will go way up. :wink:

I saw this on the KCBS website yesterday. It is definitely on our radar, and if the Redbirds happen to make the postseason and happen to be playing that weekend, the potential for us to attend will go way up. :wink:

Good luck. Wainwright is out for the season and might need Tommy John Surgery.

I am planning on cooking it. I have talked to the organizer some and he really wants to make this a great contest!

I am sure we will cook this, but we will have to wait until July to make that call. There is a small chance we will make it to the Jackson Tn Regional...witch is the same weekend

i talked to him a lot when he was setting it up.
I havent heard from him in awhile.

The spots are 20x20 and he is going to set two 10x10s in each spot. thats part of the cost of the event. each setup is costing him liek 125.

Huh??? Why is he doing that? I am thinking about this one but don't have any desire to use someone else's EZ Ups.

Huh??? Why is he doing that? I am thinking about this one but don't have any desire to use someone else's EZ Ups.

My guess would be uniformity. Since it's going to be in the middle of downtown St. Louis, he probably doesn't want it looking like a homeless tent city. But that's just my guess.

I'll be honest, I'd rather use my own tent too, but it will cut down on what I have to haul a little bit.

all our eggs [3] and backwoods are mounted to our trailer,and so are other teams using there trailers ramp as a deck for smokers .....

When I emailed him I think you could inform them of a trailer and they would accomodate. And I think the tents were not going to be ezups but the heavy duty pipe tents (rental type). I think some of it had to do with the winds that can whip through downtown and the safety of ezups flying into the crowd they are hoping for.

I had ask him if I could put my Toy Hauler on site. It is 29' overall in length and he said no.

I emailed him also, he told me as long as your trailer/rig doesn't exceed 20 feet in length, you are ok to go.

I had heard about the trailer thing - but was waiting on someone else to confirm before I posted. Thanks Rip!

I think this will keep a lot of people away, myself included. Payout can be good, but it's a 1st year contest, with an estimated 60 teams and he's not allowing trailers?? I think he's making a mistake - most of us have trailers and have them setup as such to make competition easier.

The event should be about the contest - not the money they plan on making by drawing people to it. It's a hand in hand venture between the organizers and the cooks - and to blindly ignore what we cookers need and want is unfortunate.

Everyone,

I talked to Kurt the organizer of the contest. He said based on the feedback from teams he was not going to do the tents.

On the site size he is really strapped as he does not have the realestate needed to accomodate the large rigs. He wants to ensure that there are over 50 teams to ensure the maximum points for KCBS TOY. He advised he will do double sites for $500 but he only has 4 sites left that are double. So if you want 20x40 you may want to get a hold of him.

Remember he is running a non profit organization and he is trying to raise money along with putting on a great contest.

I had heard about the trailer thing - but was waiting on someone else to confirm before I posted. Thanks Rip!

I think this will keep a lot of people away, myself included. Payout can be good, but it's a 1st year contest, with an estimated 60 teams and he's not allowing trailers?? I think he's making a mistake - most of us have trailers and have them setup as such to make competition easier.

The event should be about the contest - not the money they plan on making by drawing people to it. It's a hand in hand venture between the organizers and the cooks - and to blindly ignore what we cookers need and want is unfortunate.

I know what you mean about the site size but he is limited on space. He has been told that he needs to have the contest over 50 for the maximum points and that is why the site size.

:clap2:kurt said they do not have room to grow ,20X20-300.00,......20X40....500.00 look at the pay outs at this contest,many and alot............space is at a premium downtown st.louis

Last edited:
Back