Brainstorming My Next Build

You can use tile backer board from Home Depot for insulating to your wood frame. It's called Hardi-board or something like that. Ceramic composite, non-flammable. quarter inch thick. Easily cut to size.

if you couldnt make your little "clean out" door on your UDSv1 seal decent. how do you think you are going to get those monster doors on this to seal up enough to hold temp and smoke?

HOLY FARK MAN!!!!!

If you tell me that you just "whipped up" these sketches, I'm gonna scream!! The modeling pics look pretty awesome!

I'm even an AutoCAD guy, but holy CHIT batman!

Nice "rough sketches"!!

All-in-all, I guess I don't see the point of combining the smokers. It'll make it aweful heavy and less portable. I have a UDS and a couple of kettles and I'm glad they are all independent. I've loaded each up in the truck and sometimes a couple at a time to take to friend's/family's places or even camping (yeah, that's how I roll) and if they were tied together with a cabinet, that would've been hard to do. I have used 1, 2 or even 3 cookers at the same time and I just roll them all out to the driveway as I need them.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm just throwing it out there.

Looking forward to final pics of whatever you do.

if you couldnt make your little "clean out" door on your UDSv1 seal decent. how do you think you are going to get those monster doors on this to seal up enough to hold temp and smoke?

Ummm, the fact that I'm actually going to put a seal on it? Better design? More reseach? More experience? Probably a combination of all those things.

On the first UDS I built, I made no attempt to even create a seal. I just cut the door out and went on. It wasn't really a surprise that it let a bunch of air into the drum. The surprise (to me) was how difficult it made cooking in it.

HOLY FARK MAN!!!!!

If you tell me that you just "whipped up" these sketches, I'm gonna scream!! The modeling pics look pretty awesome!

I'm even an AutoCAD guy, but holy CHIT batman!

Nice "rough sketches"!!

All-in-all, I guess I don't see the point of combining the smokers. It'll make it aweful heavy and less portable. I have a UDS and a couple of kettles and I'm glad they are all independent. I've loaded each up in the truck and sometimes a couple at a time to take to friend's/family's places or even camping (yeah, that's how I roll) and if they were tied together with a cabinet, that would've been hard to do. I have used 1, 2 or even 3 cookers at the same time and I just roll them all out to the driveway as I need them.

Look, I'm not trying to rain on your parade. I'm just throwing it out there.

Looking forward to final pics of whatever you do.

Thanks!

Whip them up? Hardly. Each one took at least a couple hrs. The model was probaby 5-6 hrs.

The point? ...just like building stuff. I think it's a viable design. Like I said- the capacity of a big cabinet smoker without the investment.

Just got a new job with much better pay. Might be able to build this thing sooner than I thought.

Thanks!

Whip them up? Hardly. Each one took at least a couple hrs. The model was probaby 5-6 hrs.

The point? ...just like building stuff. I think it's a viable design. Like I said- the capacity of a big cabinet smoker without the investment.

Just got a new job with much better pay. Might be able to build this thing sooner than I thought.

I think your biggest challenge (besides getting a good seal on the doors) is going to be getting enough heat into your verticals. Big Baby uses much larger diameter stove pipes. I know you said it wasn't to scale, so maybe that's what's throwing me off, but I think you'd need much more and more direct an opening from your proposed firebox to your verticals.

Aside from that, I think the concept is sound. Execution will be your bugaboo. Can you weld?

Hey I know it seems obvious and looking at it now its prob a bit tall and top-heavy and one day will prob fall over and crush a small animal but this could be an option.. couldn't it? Just stack one drum on top of the other. You will most likely have a difference in heat temps at the top but then you could prob use the top racks for warming or something... hmm i dunno. Not sure if it will work to be honest but I have already put together the illustration so I might as well show it. A possibility... maybe! maybe not? lol

Cheers

Attachments

• screen-capture-229.jpg
    screen-capture-229.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 109
Might be in the position to buy a welder in a few weeks- provided my expense checks start comin. Question is- what should I buy? Mig, tig, stick, arc? What do the welders recommend recommend for a beginner? Need something cheap and easy to use/learn.

have you started this build yet? im looking at doing one very simalar

Back