• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Time Brisket

B

bluenote07

I'm going to smoke my first brisket next weekend using a WSM. Would appreciate any tips or suggestions.

Inject early (search Chris Lilly's), rub just before putting on pit. Keep temp around 225-250 Wrap in foil at 165 with a little beef stock, then pull at 195. Rest for an hour or two in a cooler. Slice across the grain.
Depending on the size of the brisket, it could take 12 hours, so be patient and good luck.
This is a simple way to do it, I'm sure there are several other ways to get a fine product.

I'd do a hot and fast foiled one for your first one. It's easy...not too hot, say 275 until in the foil. Get a whole packer, and not a small one. You can wedge it between the handles and use foil to protect the ends from touching the cooker if needed. Don't go by temps after foiling at 165 or so. It should get easy to pierce like butter.

I like this thread done by Bigabyte, it is outstanding.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57882

I do hot and fast briskets now, find them easier to do.

Inject the night before if you are going to inject. Trim excess fat, at least to no more than 1/4". I try to trim to 1/8". Rub with whatever rub I am going to use. Let sit while lighting and stabilizing smoker. I often turn a fan on low over the meat during this time.

Run smoker or kettle at 275F to 300F indirect heat, make sure light blue is flowing, put on brisket, fat cap down, and let run until internal hits 195F for a full packer, 190F for a flat. I do not foil, nothing wrong with foiling, I just don't. I probe at 195F (190F for flat) and do so at 5 degree intervals until the meat is tender to probe, almost no resistance.

Actually, I probe at 165F, I can't help doing it, but, as Divemaster says, this is not really necessary as the meat will not be done at that time. It is a bad habit.

I respectfully disagree with Chipper on the injection, especially for your first brisket. Keep it very simple... If you inject you won't know how well you did on the actual cooking process as far as moisture/texture and general flavor from your chosen rub.

I prefer a higher temp and no foil, but you can still accomplish a good finished product doing the opposite.

Back