• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS & KCBS Website

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
After being involved just a couple years with KCBS I sure have some mixed emotions on how I feel about the organization. I just went into their website and I logged in and went to my team page. They (KCBS) have removed team members from my team page who are not registered KCBS members. Now I had a little problem with them when they went to where only members could view the info, but to remove names from my listing of team mates goes a little far. After two years competing I still wonder what they do to promote BBQ. I checked into starting a competition recently and you would not beleive the KCBS Fees to sanction a contest. All I have seen they do is put out a newsletter every month.

I guess my jury is still out on the organization. I would like to be able to understand them better for sure.

Interesting....

cause my team is still listed and I haven't renewed by membership since Oct '08 or competed under that name since that time.

If I was competing again as the head cook and not helping Phil on his team or wanted to judge, I'd renew again. As a backyard cook, I don't see the benefits being worth my $35... I already have a RD card, get good hotel discounts from my company travel dept. and the Bullsheet is boring.

Focus is seems concentrated on signing up judges that drive the membership count and $, and expanding the contest aspect that will bring in sponsors. Nothing wrong with those goals but I'd like to see a little more emphasis on non-competitive aspects before to be more well balanced and cater to a wider audience.

Interesting....

cause my team is still listed and I haven't renewed by membership since Oct '08 or competed under that name since that time.

Without being a member how do you check because I have to log in to even look at those pages. It's not that big of a deal but I had five names on there as team members not counting mine, two of them are not KCBS Members and their names have been removed and only the three that are members are on there. Plus they have changed it where I can not add members to my team.

Plus you have it exactly correct I think. If the only benefit for me to be a member is to get the Bull Sheet and qualify to judge once or twice a year I will probably reconsider my membership when it come due in September.

Without being a member how do you check because I have to log in to even look at those pages. It's not that big of a deal but I had five names on there as team members not counting mine, two of them are not KCBS Members and their names have been removed and only the three that are members are on there. Plus they have changed it where I can not add members to my team.

Plus you have it exactly correct I think. If the only benefit for me to be a member is to get the Bull Sheet and qualify to judge once or twice a year I will probably reconsider my membership when it come due in September.

We my be talking two different things...

I'm referring to the Team Bio's section

http://www.kcbs.us/teams.php

Either way, if someone at KCBS edited the team members, I think that kinda sucks and a waste of KCBS resources.

Ok I logged out and can still get in there. I thought you had to be logged in to see it.

As we only do 1 or 2 KCBS contests per year, and we don't have an RD anywhere close, I don't care for the Bullsheet, I am letting my membership run out.

If I see a real positive for smaller non-sanctioned comps to become sanctioned, I may reconsider.

They removed all the members from my team that were not KCBS and one that was! Bullchit!

, I am letting my membership run out.

They removed all the members from my team that were not KCBS and one that was!

So I have not been a member for 2 years.

I had to put the KCBS domain on my email Spam filter, cuz I get continual updates on new KCBS Gear, all that farking balloting chit, and even candidate crap from the Board.

So they got some electronic nut jockey deleting non-member teammates from your team profiles, but don't take the time of day to purge their own God Damn Email lists!!!

They removed all the members from my team that were not KCBS and one that was! Bullchit!
So I just went to look at our bio and discovered that things had changes....

1) They changed the name of our team from 'Stockcar BBQ' to 'Stock Car B-B-Q'. I know that this doesn't seem like much but when I tell our sponsors to take a look at the bio and they can't find it, it's a problem to me.

2) They removed all the members of my team.

3) They cleared all of our bio information all the way down to our home town...

Thanks a lot KCBS...

So I just went to look at our bio and discovered that things had changes....

1) They changed the name of our team from 'Stockcar BBQ' to 'Stock Car B-B-Q'. I know that this doesn't seem like much but when I tell our sponsors to take a look at the bio and they can't find it, it's a problem to me.

2) They removed all the members of my team.

3) They cleared all of our bio information all the way down to our home town...

Thanks a lot KCBS...
There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason...it is our info!! Are you a KCBS member Jeff? nevermind stupid question. Wrong! this is just wrong :sad::eusa_clap

There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason...it is our info!! Are you a KCBS member Jeff? nevermind stupid question. Wrong! this is just wrong :sad::eusa_clap
Yes, it is our data, but it is their database... They are storing it.

If they had a problem with it being cleared, damaged, or some other way compramised it would have been nice to have passed that information on to the membership. Again, I guess it goes back to communication with the members....

As for being a member, yes I am. The fact that they have removed non-members from our team lists and yet have not cleaned up and removed the teams of non-members.

Like you said, it just doesn't make sense....

I just checked and they removed 3 non KCBS members of our team from the page. Why bother when the heading clearly says that they only list teams with at least one KCBS member. We do comply with that criteria.

Same here. Took out all my team members, even my son, that were listed under BBQ Brethren.

Also I had my other team listed.. BBQ-Brethren - Brothers in Smoke" which somehow became "Bros In Smoke" with Robert Hansen as head cook. No clue who that is.

lets not speculate, i'd like to assume this was an error in a database migration, or dta transfer.. However, if its not......... i'dhave a different opinion..

Now, I can see them trying to keep their database clean. Thats one thing. But, (and I am speaking as a system administrator of 20+ years), there are things we just dont do, and that is EDIT peoples data. Even in this forum, the only time editing of user data is allowed, is to correct a spelling error in a title or tag(and that is done for search criteria). Admin staff will not just edit something because they dont like it. The state in their disclaimer that they are not responsibile for accuracy, yet they will edyi the data on their own? Changing team names, Bios, members, etc.. WTF?

Altering peoples data is just plain old wrong, IF that is what was done.

In this case(of the alteration on my bio page), its petty and ridiculous. In its simplest form, what advantage is seen by removing he name of a 14 year old team mate? They did however remove everyone else, member or not.

Removing the team mates of a head cook who has been cooking under KCBS for years.. What is that all about? what does it serve?

I have to agree, this ios something that really make me rethink things. Who are they looking out for? i would love to know the rationale behind something like this.

I sent the following email to Carolyn:
Carolyn,

I just went into my 'Team Bio' and not only found it blank, but also found that my team name had been changed. In checking with my friends on the BBQ-Brethren.com site, I am not the only one. They are finding that members of their teams are missing and other team names have also been changed.

For me, this is a smaller problem since I caught it before I gave out the information to potential sponsors, for others, I am sure that they are scrambling to get the data corrected before it’s discovered.

Why would you guys do this? I can just imagine what one of my new sponsors would have thought if I had given it to them to check.

For the record, my team name is ‘Stockcar BBQ’, not ‘Stock Car B-B-Q’. All of the write ups I had done are missing including the team photo I had posted. None of my team members are listed. It’s like the bio was deleted and re-added in hopes that no one would notice.

I would like a response as to what happened and also some assurance that if the data security is breached in this fashion again, that we would be informed of it.

Thank you,

and received the following reply:
Jeffrey,

First, let me apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced since the Team Bio changes. In an attempt to make the bio section easier for everyone to use and more accessible, some bios were deleted inadvertently. The team name you found in the Bio section is the team name that is registered with your membership. This has not changed, but instead, was pulled directly from our membership database. If you look at past Bullsheets you have received, you will notice that is the way we have always had it spelled in our database. I would be more than happy to change the spelling for you so that it appears correctly in the bio section and in your membership.

Please advise me exactly how you would like to have your team name spelled. Again, I apologize for the trouble.

Dawn Endrijaitis

Kansas City Barbeque Society
Team of the Year Coordinator
Manager, Member Services
800-963-5227
dawn@kcbs.us

I hope this helps.....

On Edit:
I do find it interesting that there was no assurance that if they ever had problems like this again that they would contact us.

I'm guessing that we, the members, are not high on the priority list.

Last edited:
Back