• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Fat in Boston Butts?

Cabntmkr1

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just wondering how you catering brothers handle the layer of fat inside the Boston Butts?
Do you chop it up and leave it in, do you remove all you can, or do you leave some and remove some?
I smoked up two butts a couple of days ago (pics will be posted this coming weekend) and removed all I could get my hands on, but seem to remember someone (BigMista?) saying one time, that he chopped it up and left it in for added flavor...
So, Brothers, how do you do it??
Steve

Since I hand pull all my butts, I am able to remove alot of the fat from the finished product. It's true, fat is flavor. I don't want my cust. biting into a hunk of flavor like that. It's alot more work, but the reviews & repeat business makes it all worth while.

Same here, I will usually leave it in; if however it looks excessive I will remove some of it.

I get as much out as I can as I pull it... Dont want someone to get a mouth full of fat.. I depend on return customers..

I actually have customers that thank me for not leaving fat in mine. AND, I wanted to thank whoever that turned me onto the "Webstaurant". Man, they have saved me quite a bit of money over the past month.

I get as much out as I can as I pull it... Dont want someone to get a mouth full of fat.. I depend on return customers..

I just went to a BBQ joint the other day and got a big chunk of fat...actually it was most of the bite:eek:...not a good experience.

I, too, hand pull the pork and clean most of the fat and nasty stuff out of the product. Even if I used a mechanical chopper (Buffalo chopper) I'd clean off the pieces as I put them in the chopper.

It seems that most of you guys remove the fat, which is what I did.
I can see where a small amount chopped up into the meat could provide a flavor boost, but probably not worth the risk.
Thanks for your responses guys.
Steve

Back