• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First Tri Tip

LMAJ

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
I cooked my first tri-tip last night - thanks to everyone who shared their methods.
First - I got to use my birthday presents... a half moon baking stone and the half moon raised grid.
DSC_0013-1.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

I fired up the Egg and threw on a hunk of hickory.
While the Egg was getting happy, I set to triming up the Tri-Tip my BIL marshman left for me in my freezer (what a guy!!!)
DSC_0017-1.jpg

The package said it was fully trimmed... I still trimmed up a good amount - it has a fair portion of the globby fat and membrane that just didn't look tasty at all.
This is what I had when I was done.
DSC_0020-1.jpg

I whacked the tail off it to make it into 2 cuts then gave it a good once over with some Montreal Seasoning and cooked on the raised grid at about 350 degrees till it was 120ish then threw it on the grill to sear.
DSC_0021-1.jpg

Plated it and let it rest - here's what we got.

DSC_0026.jpg

Big Al thought it was pretty good, and that's good enough for me.

Tri tip is a wonderful piece of meat. I wish those farkers in the mid west would get their head outta their brisket loving behinds to see the light.

Dayum, if that was your first, PLEASE don't let it be your last....looks GREAT

now that's a nice lookin piece of meat there,, Makes my mouth water...

Awesome job! Ive got three or four of em in the freezer. Tri Tip is my go to, oh my god you didn't tell me we have company, meat. I wish shipping was cheaper, we'd be sending them frozen to brothers in the midwest.

looking good looking good. thats a fantastic finish after a steeler or eagle win.
in CA we are paying about 10-12 bucks a lb. for free range the taste can not be beat.

That may be the smallest tri-tip ive every seen. We are truly blessed in CA as we can find them everywhere and about 5 times that size.

Looks great. another thing added to my to-do list.

Looks great L-M! Happy Birthday too!

Looks like you did the tri-tip justice. That is one of our favorites. We are fortunate to have that particular cut available around here most of the time. Great beef and looks like you did a great job.

Thanks for the b-day wishes - it was in August, I was just getting around to using the new toy.

Like the title said - that was my first tri-tip. It weighed in just under 3 lbs and I trimmed off at least 1/2 a pound of gick. It was from Australia too... not that that means anything particularly, I have just never eatten beef from Australia before - to the best of my knowledge.

Back