CT bbq'r with category question

wickedbbq'r

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
We competed in our first bbq competition last weekend in the backyard category in Westport CT. We had a great time and did very well. We would like to do 2 or 3 comps next year. We would like to do them in the backyard category so we can gain more experience before entering with the pros. The problem is the only comp with a backyard category that I can find in New England is Westport. So my question is if we enter a comp that has only one bbq category that is the pros can I still enter Westport in the backyard category? Or is it once you compete with the pros you are a pro from then on? and what designates a team as a pro team? I was also wondering if you are from the area and you were going to do 2 or 3 comps what would they be? I know there is a lot here, but I'm really in the dark on this. Thanks!

I think it depends on the organiser of the backyard events rules.Here in Wisconsin I havent seen any backyard categories but if it was me I guess I would get the person running your backyard events interpretation.

Now that you've got one contest under your belt, my suggestion would be to just enter the regular contests. It's all the same anyway.. you show up, set up, cook to the best of your ability and hope for the best. There is no hard and fast definition as to what makes a team a "pro" other than paying the entry fee like all the other teams... You'll learn and get better as you go.

If you like Westport do it again next year, Hudson Valley Ribfest always has lots of Brethren teams... many talked highly of the Troy Pig Out.. Battle of the BBQ Brethren in Sayville on LI is also a great event.

check the NEBS calendar. this time of year is pretty slim pickins but next year there will be numerous 'backyard' events. Plus some grilling events are in the early spring that welcome absolutely everyone.

I have to agree with Vinny tho... if you've already done one.. get out there and do more, regardless of if its a backyard or not. Walk around, chat with people, get more of a feel ... there isn't really a concrete definition of 'pro'.

For grilling events, I'd suggest Snowshoe and Grillin' On The Bay. Both are pretty mellow, low entry fees, good people running them :wink: and lots of fun. PLUS, both of them benefit specific charities, which is always a good thing. These are one day events, not overnights.

As far as BBQ/overnight events, Brookline, NH in July is a great event with two categories, and a Kids Comp.
Peter's Pond down the Cape should return in June, always very fun, very laid back, great venue and fantastic people as well.

I could go on and on and on about which comps to go to...

PM me if you want any more info on events in the New England/New York area.

See you out there!

Back