Brisket rub

H

hammerwieser

hey all I'm thinking about doing my first brisket this weekend. I don't have any bottled rubs and was going to make one from scratch. I have researched various brisket rubs on the web but haven't made up my mind yet and wanted to run it by the experts on this forum first. Any help is much appreciated.

Try just coarse salt and pepper. If you really want some more spices, use seasoned salt.

Thanks James. I was thinking of keeping it simple like that. I have some McCormick "smokehouse" ground pepper, has a nice smokey flavor, I thought that would work well. Thanks again.

No need to go with the flavored pepper - you'll be adding your own smoke!

Yep, what JamesTX says. A lot of great brisket is cooked with salt and pepper only. Usually more salt than pepper in the mix.

Yep you are right about that James. I'm thinking the KISS (keep it simple stupid) method is the route I will take. Thanks again guys!

My brother in law makes a killer brisket also, but insists on "siping" (1/2 deep cuts diagonally across the brisket) on both sides before he rubs it the night before. I have never seen that method before on the internet, tv or in books before. His brisket was awesome the one time I tried it. Any thoughts on his method?

I support the S n P for brisket. :biggrin:

Ok now the controversial questions. Fat cap up or down? Foil it or no? Sauce it or not?

Ok now the controversial questions. Fat cap up or down? Foil it or no? Sauce it or not?

Oak or Mesquite? Inject or not? Hot n fast or low n slow?

None of this matters as long as you cook it till its probe tender. :cool:

My brother in law makes a killer brisket also, but insists on "siping" (1/2 deep cuts diagonally across the brisket) on both sides before he rubs it the night before. I have never seen that method before on the internet, tv or in books before. His brisket was awesome the one time I tried it. Any thoughts on his method?

I've done that to the fat cap before, just so that the seasoning could get down to the meat. I don't think it does that much. I've also injected seasoning mixed with oil into the fat layer between the point and the flat - this does add a lot of flavor I believe.

Hey Hammer,

I like to keep it simple also with salt, pepper, sweet paprika, and light cyan pepper. I layer on the seasonings vs mixing together as I believe the variation helps like it does on Cinimon Toast. I don't Mop or foil and cook to an internal temp of 190' (first 2 hours 225 then kick it up to 300 the rest).

Don't give up brethern ... just have another beer.

I am a believer that your first brisket should be just plain old kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Once you've cooked a brisket like this you have a good taste foundation to go one from there.

My first brisket was just salt, pepper and garlic powder and out of all the rubs and season salts and what not I've tried that combo is still my favorite. Simplicity is best just a little salt, pepper and garlic and some nice smoke is all you need. And I got all the advice for my first brisket off this site from these awesome brethren! Oh yeah don't forget the beer!

Bovine Bold does rock! S n P is a good way to go, too. Be sure and post some pron!

Thanks for all the advice guys. I think I have a gamplan!

Pics for sure, and if ya want I'll email ya a slice!!

Back