Many Thanks...

thunter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
This is a little late but you would not believe how busy I have been and home and at work.
I competed for the first time as Indy Smokehouse BBQ at the Madison Ribberfest in Madison, IN. First, I never thought that I would be doing anything like this four years ago. I joined this forum and a couple of others hungry for BBQ knowledge and that is exactly what I got. Lots of knowledge, great conversations and good friends.

Overall, I did not do too well my first time out. I made lots of mistakes but I had lots of support and advice from my fellow BBQ'ers. Specifically, Curt Mcadams and his wife Phyllis - they were very supportive and gave me a ton of information to process for my next competition.

There were 57 teams and here is how it all shook out - I got my name called in my initial contest :) ...

Sauce - 2nd Place out of 47 teams! Wowsers! I even got a check for $100! :)

Chicken - 15th Place out of 57 teams; I turned in chicken wings! :)

Ribs - 41st Place out of 57 teams. Not proud of the ribs at all!

Pork - 48th Place out of 57 teams. I thought it would do better, but presentation was a factor I am sure!

Brisket - 55th Place out of 57 teams. Now this was a great brisket; however, I sliced it with the grain instead of against it! :shock: What a dufus!!!

Overall I placed 48 out of 57 teams. That is pretty close to the bottom but at least not dead last! :lol: Most of all, I had a lot of fun and my wife and youngest daughter were my helpers!

Thanks to everyone on this site who have been so gracious and helpful to me. I really do appreciate out personal and cyber-friendships!

Tony

Congrats Tony! Seems like a decade ago that we were both newbies over at the BB forum in couple years ago.Glad you are still around

Way to go, Tony! Yeah, you made some mistakes but you also had some good successes to build on (sauce and chicken). Keep working on it!

Congrats on having the guts to compete.
You made a few mistakes.........chit I do that every day.
You need to go with what you know, practice and just have fun at the next comp.
Things seem to fall into place, just practice a several times before your next com.

WTG Tony. I too remember when you first joined BB. Seems like a lifetime ago. Sounds like you had a good time with your family. That's what is most important. The rest will come.

Tony, you did a heckuva lot better in Madison than I did the first time there. It was a pleasure meeting you and your family and we need to get you over to Kettering next year.

Major League Awesome Bro...Congrats! :p

"Most of all, I had a lot of fun and my wife and youngest daughter were my helpers!"

That's what I'm talkin' 'bout! :p

Tony, I was thinking of calling you today to find out how you'd done... I'm not surprised on the sauce! And good showing in chicken, too!

And thanks very much for the hospitality. We really enjoyed spending time with you and your family, and hope to get the chance to do so again.

Way to go Tony keep up the good work. As long as you have fun and meet good people it makes it that much better win or lose.

Hey, about damn time you got here and posted....glad that you have gotten the bug, and got to experience the best part, sharing time with family, friends, and making many more.....cough cough, we wont say about meeting in the shouwers or anything.....but, hey, we smelled much better than most did.......now, since it took you two years to get into the contest from your initial thoughts it will be time to see you out and about much sooner than that!

Take care, and see you on the trails....

Back