Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

On a lot of specialized permits, you have to be a particular trade to pull the permit. Thus, a mechanical permit requires a contractor who is a mechanical license holder. This all seems so dumb, but, nothing surprises me after 35 years in construction related fields.

The stars are finally aligning. Got a contractor in here, said it looks good and he's going right to his office to make a few calls and pull the permit. As soon as that's done, hopefully the inspector can come in tonight, and then waiting to hear back from the health department to see when he can come out. Could be open as early as tomorrow, but most likely, Friday.

Fingers crossed, and I'm trying not to count my chickens yet.

...trying not to count my chickens yet.

Not even open yet, and you've already lost track of your inventory?

Just kidding. Hope all goes well, and you finally get to open.

If I ever get out that way, I will definitely stop in for some good Q.

The stars are finally aligning. Got a contractor in here, said it looks good and he's going right to his office to make a few calls and pull the permit. As soon as that's done, hopefully the inspector can come in tonight, and then waiting to hear back from the health department to see when he can come out. Could be open as early as tomorrow, but most likely, Friday.

Great news.....hopefully you will be able cook your chickens instead of not counting them! :clap2:

Every success for your open and beyond. I will be in the USA (live in Australia) in San Francisco in April......might just hop a plane and order up some Brisket and Pull Pork!......ohhh and some sides!

Awesome to hear about the catering gigs and the permit getting pulled.....if you open Friday I'll be there Saturday with the family!!!!!

Even if the original mechanical contractor said he didn't need a permit, why would he not pull the permit after he was told that he had to have one? Was he licensed?

Alligator

Couldn't help but think of your situation when I read this.
"Alligator can greet Michigan restaurant patrons "
PORT HURON, Mich. (AP) -- A 4-foot long alligator named Wally will be allowed to greet patrons of a Michigan restaurant.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...ME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2013-12-17-14-39-49

We have a restaurant/outdoor store here (Lunkers) that used to have a live alligator. Now, there is just a stuffed one....but the live one was much smaller, so it's not him. No idea what happened to him.

Even if the original mechanical contractor said he didn't need a permit, why would he not pull the permit after he was told that he had to have one? Was he licensed?

There never was an original mechanical contractor. My general contractor said one wasn't required since we were not installing any new hoods or ventilation and that was what the health department initially told me as well since we were basically just replacing an oven with the smoker, using the existing gas hookup, there was already a hood above the smoker, etc.

But apparently the HD changed their mind a few weeks ago when we were finally ready to open and he said he wants a mechanical inspection just to be safe. Which led to the epic problems of needing a permit before anything can be inspected, and then impossible to get anyone to pull a permit since the work was already done, etc.

So just a lot of poor communication between all parties. Had this issue even been brought up a month ago we would have at least had some time to get it resolved before the newspaper ran a big story and basically told everyone we were opening last Friday.

Either way, fingers crossed that I get calls from both inspectors first thing in the morning and they can find a time to come out and do their thing. Staff is coming in to start prep at 9 with the assumption we can open for dinner, or for lunch on Friday worst case.

But I'm not holding my breath. With everything that's gone on so far I'm preparing for another setback, but being ready just in case we do get good news.

Fingers crossed for you over here. :thumb:

Thanks. Another sleepless night in store I'm afraid. Still at the restaurant working. Cooking some butts for a friend who wanted to take them to work tomorrow. I can't wait for this to be wrapped up and have an actual day off where I can just sleep for 18 hours straight.

Just read the whole post (all 47 pages), wishing you all the best with your new resturant, and hope you open soon. Looks like you have the support of the whole community.

Another day of crossed fingers here. Sounds like you are getting some practice in anyways. :-D

Not a bad way to pass the time in the middle of a 12 hour night shift, reading up on your struggles. Good luck and hope it all works out for you. I have a friend who opened up a nano brewery here in Massachusetts. If you think it was difficult getting an occupancy permit sao that you can serve food, multiply that by a factor a gazzillion for the permits to alcohol. In the end, however, all things worked out and they are coming up on their first anniversary in a couple weeks. I'm sure you'll doi just as well and will look back on these struggles and laugh. Best of luck.

PTN

Good luck today! Local governments can be a real pain in the arse! Hope you are up and running tomorrow! (or today)

Thanks. Another sleepless night in store I'm afraid. Still at the restaurant working. Cooking some butts for a friend who wanted to take them to work tomorrow. I can't wait for this to be wrapped up and have an actual day off where I can just sleep for 18 hours straight.

LMAO....your not even open yet and thinking about sleep???

You have MONTHS before you'll get any sleep brother. This is the easy part. :wink:

Back