Fridays trial run

S

smokinrack

I recently bought an Acorn and have been using it pretty consitently for the last month.I have yet to try a really long cook on it so going to get up early in the morning and try these

20130321_083928_zps220178d2.jpg

Seasoned and ready to wrap up and go back in the fridge

20130321_090830_zps2ff41755.jpg

Theres a snowstorm coming in again Saturday so im hoping to get an early start cook em a little higher than I normally would and have em back off in time for a late meal tmrw night with friends and cold beer.

Looks like you have everything under control. Have a great time with your friends & remember to share a few pics of the cook. Cheers!!!

I've got 4wd, what time will they be ready?

Thats actually a good question, if theyre done early ill save ya some:wink:

I can't tell what the meat is for sure but I bet that Acorn will do a great job on it.

2 roughly 7# pork butts from sams, was only gonna cook one of em but didnt have a vac bag big enough to freeze the other one so figured WTH!

Well its 4 in the morning and a balmy 17 degrees out when I lit the smoker.First thing I noticed is the winds changed and the smokes not leaving the shed:mmph:

Its getting foggy in here
20130322_043918_zps46bf6db8.jpg

A half hour and a little smoke inhalation later the grills about 200 degrees.Its cold enough out the digital drops to about 153 in the couple seconds its out of the smoker before it goes back in the meat.
20130322_044750_zpsf77396fb.jpg

Cooking about 265 right now and seems to have quit going up as i shut the vents down, time to let it go and see what happens.Down side is its way to early to start drinking beer as i watch the smoker so its coffee for now:wink:

5 hours in should be in the stall now, took a quick peek and decided not to foil these as I prefer a little bark and theyre cooking pretty well as is, grills still holding steady about 155-160 and the IT is about 169, not a great pic as my lense fogged up out in the cold as soon as I opened the lid and I didnt notice:doh:

20130322_091356_zps47aa9718.jpg

Leave your lid shut Monitor the temps with the probs in the meat and for the pit Did you really mean your temp is 155-160 if so you need to open the vents some Looking good so far

Leave your lid shut Monitor the temps with the probs in the meat and for the pit Did you really mean your temp is 155-160 if so you need to open the vents some Looking good so far

HAHA, how bout 255-260 that sound better, got up to early I guesse.:doh:

Im using the probe, but like I said I never used this particular smoker before for butts and wasnt sure if I needed to foil them or not so I took a peek to make sure nothing was turning black that wasnt supposed to be :wink:

If it works like the BGE, you can take off the dome vent and shine a flashlight down onto the meat to visually check it. No need to open the lid.

If it works like the BGE, you can take off the dome vent and shine a flashlight down onto the meat to visually check it. No need to open the lid.

This one its actually easier to just open the lid that to try to get vent set back in the right place again if your only gonna have it open for a second, the dome temp only drops a couple degrees and it stabilizes again in a minute or so.

Cooking low on this the vents only open about an 1/8 inch or so and once you get it dialed in it doesnt take much to be a real pain in the butt to reset it, its kinda touchy if you go a little bit to far one way or the other.

This one its actually easier to just open the lid that to try to get vent set back in the right place again if your only gonna have it open for a second, the dome temp only drops a couple degrees and it stabilizes again in a minute or so.

Cooking low on this the vents only open about an 1/8 inch or so and once you get it dialed in it doesnt take much to be a real pain in the butt to reset it, its kinda touchy if you go a little bit to far one way or the other.

Humm, I always open the top vent all the way and control the temp with the bottom damper in order to get the cleanest burning fire. You are supposed to use the top vent to damp down the fire on that one?

Honestly I dont know if its the right way or not but to keep this one in the 225-275 range you actually wind up with both vents almost completely closed,

20130322_112553_zps0dff67ec.jpg

20130322_112601_zps6b8be748.jpg

20130322_112612_zps61e32b16.jpg

If theres a better way Im open to suggestions but opening either one of them will result in higher temps and if I was cooking at 225 the top one would be about where its at and the bottom one would be closed further yet to the point of blocking any air flow.

Looking good! Definitely resist the urge to peek, especially on those Kamado style cookers.

Hope you get a breeze to clear out that shed!:shock: I bet the CO levels are pretty farked up in there.

Back