• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

UDS Intake question or Idea...

tld0550

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I posted in the mass pages of uds thread but no one saw it obviously so here goes and thanks in advance.

I am curious if anyone has tried to put the intake pipes 3- 3/4 iside of the drum and use the 90s on the way out as the grill holder. I played with it on the bench and it works great, the reason I want to do this I have two 3 year olds that will think I just built a jungle gym (for them)and try taking it for a spin and since it will be out next to my pool I wanted a little cleaner look.

I didnt know with them being inside the heated drum if that would cause draft issues or not..

I am totaly new to smoking and a the UDS so forgive me if this is a crazy question.

Thanks again

Are you talking about running the intakes up higher on the inside of the drum and then exiting near the top?

I have not tried that or seen anyone try that, but I initially built my first UDS with one intake with a pipe valve on a length of pipe (fat man mod) and thought wow this is great, why don't I bring the rest of them higher? So I attached pipe risers and elbows to the other 3 intakes, so i wouldn't have to bend down to open or close the intakes.

Well, that was not such a great idea. I think the elbows on all the intakes resulted in decreased air flow going in to the coals and i struggled to get higher temps for things like chicken or hot and fast cooks. I had to add a fifth intake (about 1") down by the bottom of the cooker, without any riser, to be able to get higher temps. Without it, my temps would only come up to about 200-225 with all 4 intakes open. Some would consider that perfect, but i'm also impatient and don't want to hang around all day waiting for some ribs to smoke - i prefer 280-300 nowadays for my cooks.

I can see what you're trying to do. If you're after a cleaner, simple looking drum why not install a sliding draft door?

Nothing a good crack on the Behind and a scolding wont fix, As to running the intakes on the inside I think that once the temp rises the hot air will dampen the draft and here will be to much restriction to get clean fire. The cooler the intake air the hotter the temps you can get.

Thanks guys, Calking yea fat man method desired here as well and thanks for the input, and Carbon my welding skills are ahhh well nil so I like the threaded pipe method.

Bludawg as my mom used to tell me Im stuborn as hell so since no one says it wont work heck im going for it worst case i just plug em at the top and bring em out the bottom Im attaching it to the bottom of the drum with a T that I was going to plug if that makes any sense, Thanks for the input at least I will have it in my head if and when I fail..

...Carbon my welding skills are ahhh well nil so I like the threaded pipe method....
There's no welding required to attach a sliding draft door. They're usually screwed or riveted in place, whether you buy one of the Kamado/BGE draft doors or fabricate one yourself.

Back