Help! Brisket! What am I doing wrong?

• Thanks
Reactions: pwa
I have never cooked such a small flat but tend to agree with BigBellyBBQ this one is not suitable for a hot and fast cook.
Dave

Last edited:
the heading is "what am I doing wrong" so....go in one direction and it will work..too many cooks spoil the brisket..focus on one thing, one set of ideas...and make it happen...
my first brisket took 18 hours to cook and it was outstanding...thats where I learned the difference of grate temps vrs other incorrect temperature locations..and where I came up with the saying when it is done..it is done, if not go have another beer..

Your problem is clearly revealed here.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISLNPAwES5Y"]Purple Rain - Morris Day Seeks Perfection - YouTube[/ame]

You are the girls, your shoes are on too tight, Morris is the instructional, and the "boys" are all of us.

Now lets see some action (Heat) and get some asses jiggling to have some perfection.

Your problem is clearly revealed here.

You are the girls, your shoes are on too tight, Morris is the instructional, and the "boys" are all of us.

Now lets see some action (Heat) and get some asses jiggling to have some perfection.

Thanks for the insightful answer.

There are very few great cooks in the whole wide world that would have ever figured out the answer for him.

You are truly a BBQ God.

TIM

I live in Gastonia just down the road from you. You would think that living NC there would tons of places to get good meat from but there's not. Two places you may try is the Meat House on Rea Road or The Fresh Market on Pinevile Mathews Road. Both have great meat and The Freah Market only has Hereford beef, but I've cooked it and loved it. Hope this helps a distant neighbor.

Thanks for the insightful answer.

There are very few great cooks in the whole wide world that would have ever figured out the answer for him.

You are truly a BBQ God.

TIM

Come closer Tim. Closer.... just a weeeee but....

Belch.......

Sorry Tim.... gas from my V8 and Cookie Dough and egg nog smoothie.

To solve you problem, given what you have to work with, that being a crappy, over-trimmed 2.5 pound flat.

1. You cannot get it to jiggle, you need the point meat to do that.
2. If you really want to get it done moist and tender, you need to add moisture.
3. You need a moist cooking environment for that small a meat.

Soooo, contrary to any other brisket cook, either inject or marinate the meat. Inject with beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, or marinate in same. If you marinate, at least 4 hours.

Smoke at 235F to 250F until color is reached. Then, place on a rack, in a pan, and dump some fresh marinade into the bottom of the pan. Place, covered, into cooker at 250F until thermo reads 190F internal temperature. Remove from pan, place on rack and cook until probe tender, it will be below 200F most likely. You could easily do the pan part in the oven for all it matters.

Come closer Tim. Closer.... just a weeeee but....

Belch.......

Sorry Tim.... gas from my V8 and Cookie Dough and egg nog smoothie.

I really hope you feel better when the gas in gone.
We can not exist without your guidance.

Get well--OK?

TIM

I really hope you feel better when the gas in gone.
We can not exist without your guidance.

Get well--OK?

TIM

"gas in gone?"

"can not?"

Good Gracious.

I'd douche but you sent the price of the supplies up Tim. Both pig meat AND douche water are sky high these days because of you.

To solve you problem, given what you have to work with, that being a crappy, over-trimmed 2.5 pound flat.

1. You cannot get it to jiggle, you need the point meat to do that.
2. If you really want to get it done moist and tender, you need to add moisture.
3. You need a moist cooking environment for that small a meat.

Soooo, contrary to any other brisket cook, either inject or marinate the meat. Inject with beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, or marinate in same. If you marinate, at least 4 hours.

Smoke at 235F to 250F until color is reached. Then, place on a rack, in a pan, and dump some fresh marinade into the bottom of the pan. Place, covered, into cooker at 250F until thermo reads 190F internal temperature. Remove from pan, place on rack and cook until probe tender, it will be below 200F most likely. You could easily do the pan part in the oven for all it matters.

I knew you'd come through, Roadmaster.

"gas in gone?"

"can not?"

Good Gracious.

I'd douche but you sent the price of the supplies up Tim. Both pig meat AND douche water are sky high these days because of you.

I am confused,
'I pot a totally "adoring and supporting" post and ,,,,,????

I just hope you recover and feel better in the future.

TIM

Yeah, but, nobody listens to me, it is up to DeGuerre to save this poor souls brisket.

If I had a flat like that I'd be foiling or panning it bigtime. The big thing is no fat cap.

Gentlemen. Thank you for your help. I was too depressed to come back after last week's third debacle in a row. But I read your comments put them into action.

I think I finally got it right. Check out below...

1. I went Bigger. A 7# Flat.
2. I went choice. As you suspected, my last flat was SELECT.

tumblr_mczj85rZi31rct7y3o1_1280.jpg

3. Simple Rub.

tumblr_mczj85rZi31rct7y3o2_1280.jpg

4. This one had a fat cap.

tumblr_mczj85rZi31rct7y3o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mczj85rZi31rct7y3o4_1280.jpg

5. At 165* I took it off the smoker and wrapped it in parchment and put it in the oven at 250*

tumblr_mczj85rZi31rct7y3o5_1280.jpg

6. Probe tender. I started to freak out because I wasn't sure I knew what probe tender felt like. But I think I got it. The result was moist and delicious, but it did not completely crumble. I am not complaining tho.

tumblr_mczjq15bnA1rct7y3o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mczjq15bnA1rct7y3o2_1280.jpg

And the results were JUICY!!!

tumblr_mczjq15bnA1rct7y3o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_mczjq15bnA1rct7y3o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_mczjq15bnA1rct7y3o5_1280.jpg

And even better on a sandwich with carmelized onions...

tumblr_mczjq15bnA1rct7y3o6_1280.jpg

Thanks so much for your good advice... next time I will cook it at 225* and see if its even better!

I'm glad you finally got it, looks real good IMO go hotter not colder and keep it on the pit the whole time.

Looks Great :clap2:
I love it when a plan comes together.

IF you are cooking other things, leaving on the pit is fine.
IF you have nothing else to use the smoke for, the oven works just fine.

Great Job.

TIM

I live in Gastonia just down the road from you. You would think that living NC there would tons of places to get good meat from but there's not. Two places you may try is the Meat House on Rea Road or The Fresh Market on Pinevile Mathews Road. Both have great meat and The Freah Market only has Hereford beef, but I've cooked it and loved it. Hope this helps a distant neighbor.

I ended up with a choice flat from Harris Teeter. $5.99/#. Same as The Meat House who I called. Next time I will check out the Fresh Market on P-M Road. Thanks Neighbor!

Back